• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

230 V Mig Suggestions?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Well I broke my WH track bar riser off at the MEB Round Up when I was picking my way up Corum trail. It's kind of like Rock Creek at Rausch, but going up hill!

BTW, with all the "experts" with me, we were able to re-attach the riser with a ratchet strap and center the 44 with a chain and my my winch cable. I was able to drive out over some pretty rough stuff and get back to camp.

I am blaming it on not enough penetration with my Linclon 135 (can't be my welding technique! ;D ). Now I am looking to upgrade to a 230 V mig. Any recommendations? Best prices? Best place to buy? Lincoln? Miller? Other?

Thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You will get all kinds of recommendations here. Personally I grew up on Lincoln and currently use Miller. In the Miller family I have 2 maybe 3 recommendations.

If you like the small pocket MIG, the 185 is the same basic size of the 135 you have now. Fit on the same cart, etc. It is what I run. Does good up to ¼”. A little more for those rare times you need it. This is what I run

If you want to step up to a full size machine, get the Miller 251. I have done ½” plate with a friends. Kinda would like to have one myself, but rarely need anything that can run that strong. The 2 times I needed it, I just borrowed it.

Last option, cost about the same as the 251 but is a lot more versitle is the Miller Passport. Welder in a box. Neat part is that it is light, portable and can still run on 110V when needed for smaller jobs.

Kinda depends on what you are looking for.

shifter

Loc.
Agua Dulce, CA
I am having the same problems with my hobart 140 welding heavy stuff, not quite enough power. Its a good machine but getting tired of running it maxed out all the time. Northern tool has the hobart handler 210 for $899 or if the budget is a little fatter I have seen the millermatic 210 for around $1400 at some online discount places.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have had a Miller 135 for a few years, I got tired of using my Miller Bobcat (generator welder) with sticks for the heavy stuff. So I recently bought a Miller 210 I couldn't be happier. If I had some extra $$$ I would have got the 251. I plan to keep the 135 so I couldn't see spending the money on a 185 to only gain a little amperage.
As far as Miller vs Lincoln I would gladly own either one they both make good machines. I have Miller's because I have been able to get better service and prices on Miller at my local welding supplier.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Millermatic 252. I have a 175 and it works great, it's just kinda light duty.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Why not keep your 135 for the small stuff and buy a AC/DC stick for the structural stuff. The machine shops around here use a stick if it is thick and if it really has to hold. Would save you a lot of money and you would have all your bases covered up to 1". I know it is not as cool these days, but it gets the job done for less money and usually better.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
The problems with a stick welder is you gotta learn how to weld :) Different settings, different rod, different combos of both. With a MIG you can practice a bit and follow directions and you can weld most things. Thats why arc welders arent cool anymore. I have an old lincoln arc sitting in my garage and I havent touched in in years. I used an industrial arc when I welded the C's back on the 60 after narrowing it, but havent used one for anything since. For convenience and ease of use, get a mig.

dbridgs

I saved up and bought a Miller 210 and like it very very much, I think welding is a sort of art and the equpiment you use is very important to the final product. Also think about how much you will use it and what for. I guess they say you can always turn it down but you can't always turn it up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I like the 250, 251 and I gues the latest is the 252 for that high/low switch. You get full infinate variable voltage and wire speed. Plus that little switch changes the welder from a sheetmetal welder into a nuclear submarine hull welder. That is my recomendation for that over the 210 (which is a fine welder)

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
The problems with a stick welder is you gotta learn how to weld :) Different settings, different rod, different combos of both. With a MIG you can practice a bit and follow directions and you can weld most things. Thats why arc welders arent cool anymore. I have an old lincoln arc sitting in my garage and I havent touched in in years. I used an industrial arc when I welded the C's back on the 60 after narrowing it, but havent used one for anything since. For convenience and ease of use, get a mig.

I know I would catch it on that answer. You have to learn to weld with what ever welder you use. With a mig you have different size wire, different size tips, gas flow and type of gas. I have burned probably a couple 1000 pounds of rods and I would trust a stick for penetration and structural strength on anything thick over a mig any day and so would the pros.I have a mig that I use on the small stuff and it is nice. I was in my local machine shop one day and he was welding a drawbar for a 12 yard dirt pan. I asked him why he did not weld it with a mig and he said because it has to hold.

flousberg

I agree with deltarat. I worked in a Cement plant for 7 years where the thinnest stuff we had was 1/2". You could not find a mig welder in the entire plant, in fact in any of the 3 plants. I would say for anything over 1/4" I would use a stick welder. Once you learn to weld with one, you can have a very high quality weld.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I know I would catch it on that answer. You have to learn to weld with what ever welder you use. With a mig you have different size wire, different size tips, gas flow and type of gas. I have burned probably a couple 1000 pounds of rods and I would trust a stick for penetration and structural strength on anything thick over a mig any day and so would the pros.I have a mig that I use on the small stuff and it is nice. I was in my local machine shop one day and he was welding a drawbar for a 12 yard dirt pan. I asked him why he did not weld it with a mig and he said because it has to hold.

BUT- get some .030 wire, follow the directions and out of the box you can weld a WHOLE lot of stuff.

Of course for anything thick (subjective term) you would need a stick. What do we weld on a bronco that needs a stick? Isnt that what we are talking about?

Good discussion!

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Bumpers are beyond his 135. If he did not have a welder at all,I would say get a 220 mig. Since he has a small mig, I was just trying to save him $1000 and he could do more,if he ever does anything other than a bronco. I build other things beside bronco work. I just wanted him to know he had other options that were not $1300-$2000

norcal67

Loc.
state of jefferson
You all have good points, I have used everything from the 135s to 350s and both major brands. For 99% of what a hobby welder does the 210 to 250 will get it done. Like my old shop teacher would say even a trained monkey can use one, but it take a welder to arc weld.;D ;D ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
The trail fix was pretty good, but i did not get pic's

Attachments

• DSC00627.JPG
    DSC00627.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00628.JPG
    DSC00628.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 17

ransil

Bronco Guru
Check your local classifieds, I have a 230v (Schumacher) that works good pick it up for a $150.

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
I have a MillerMatic DVI (Dual Voltage Input). It runs on 110V or 220V. I love it. I paid about $1200 from Airgas. It welds up to 3/8" on 220V. I have used it to weld 3/4" on a non-structural piece, but I chamfered the edges and pre-heated. My second choice would be a MM210.

I've had a Lincoln AC/DC stick for years, but was never able to lay a bead until I got the MIG welder. Which was not too long ago. I learned the proper technique on my DVI then went back to try stick welding.

MIG is definitely easier, but stick welding is more fun and challenging. I can finally lay a very good bead.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I would suggest a miller and on the gas what ever brand you use go with a mix of 25/75 argon and co2 a cleaner weld. Good luck %) %) %) Bill %) :cool: ;D