• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 heads

bax

Contributor
Old Member
well they are better than your 70 heads. they will bring your compression up some. May put you into the higher octane gas. you will need hardened seats put in them. the add said nothing about valve guides. dont trust a home port job. but I like the 289 heads.

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
I've been on many forums that debate this, but am I better off picking up a stock set of gt40 heads for cheap. I just took off the stock intake and carb, replaced with edelbrock rpm and 650 carb. I looked under the valve covers and it's quite a mess. I'm looking for a winter project of cam and heads, just looking for inexpensive ideas.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
"Generally speaking " and only generally -- on a 302 you're usually better off with 351W heads and a little massaging than massaged 289 heads - bigger intake and exhaust runners , bigger valves - and some have a better chamber design -- again generally speaking .
In the late 60s Ford had a "Ford Muscle Parts" program - they used 351 heads on 302s - not 289 heads.
SHX

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It depends on your pistons if you have deep dish pizza pistons, then your better off with the small chamber 289 heads. If you have flat top pistons the 351 heads are better. Once you go past that and want better heads you best be turning high Rpm's to utilize the performance benefit. In a Bronco no one I know pushes and holds the motor in the 5000 to 6000 rpm range so the benefit of bigger flow heads just isn't there for us.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Agreed with Rustytruck...what are the rest of the engine component specs? really need this info to help you out. Quite the port job btw...

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The port job steers me away from them as well. Ive passed up lots of decent heads because they were ported. A bad port job can make decent heads bad. Looks more than mild. but you could always take a set of intake and exhuast gaskets over and check the ports. Look them over real good. Lots of work already done to those heads rockers and guide plates are almost worth the price. even if the guides needed to be replaced it could be a good deal. Id just have to look at them real good.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
there's a reason they are so cheap. The rockers are work that.

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
I found a set of 351w heads that the dude will trade for, and will probably go this direction. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/5097607764.html

I just installed MSD ignition, Edelbrock RPM intake and 1405 carb, and headers last weekend. I probably won't do heads and cam until winter time. Thoughts on a cam? 3 speed tranny, 4.11 gears and 31" tires.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you are near Philly, PA I'll give you a set of 289 heads for a $100. They even come with the 54k 289 engine still attached!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I found a set of 351w heads that the dude will trade for, and will probably go this direction. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/5097607764.html

I just installed MSD ignition, Edelbrock RPM intake and 1405 carb, and headers last weekend. I probably won't do heads and cam until winter time. Thoughts on a cam? 3 speed tranny, 4.11 gears and 31" tires.

You'll loose a little compression with those heads. According to the Monroe SB Ford book, 69' 351W heads have 60.4cc combustion chambers. Larger than the 58.2cc chambers on your '70 heads.
This book has a good section about selecting heads, along with a lot of other useful info.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-S...6891/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_z/191-5832820-4812863

Last edited by a moderator: