• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on the Tree "Have you?"

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So reading another thread I seen where someone "no names' *TOM* HEUSS, ha ha Sorry couldn't resist :cool:

Never drove a 3 on the tree. Made me wonder.

Who else has never driven a Rig with the 3 on the tree?

I drove my uncles old ford 1/2 ton truck back in High School running around here and there.. Learned to drive it at a young age...

Whats your experience with 3 speed on the Column..?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I never have! We have torn a couple of them apart at my shop, but my friends have always drove them home or we trailered it home.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I will admit, I do not know how to drive a stick. I have always had automatics. I would love to learn.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only vehicles we had were sticks when I learned how to drive, driven lots of 3 on the tree. My 75 bronco currently has 3 speed, was working with Bradlee on it but it is about to change, almost hate to see it go.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
All the ones that I ever drove (cheby/FORD) you had to know how to go under the hood and re'aline up the shift/links.I drove several....crap :p

ps they were wore out by the time I gott'em;)

we had two old pu's that I learned to drive in and were both early 50's.One Ford and one Chevy and one or both I can't remember,had a starter thingy in the floorboard!! what a ride;)

Ensane13

Loc.
Sandy Hook
I just learned with my 75 Bronco I purchase about 7 months ago. Whenever people ride with me they just stare baffled at how I am shifting. My 69 Bronco that I drove before the frame off restore project started was converted to a floor shifter so this is a neat change and I plan on keeping it that way too.

jn2630

Loc.
Silverthorne, CO
Have never had the pleasure of driving a 3 on the tree.. couldn't be that hard.. im sure I could drive a tank if I messed with it enough :cool:

TM Toys

Loc.
Barboursville , VA
I never did til I took my first test drive n the 68 .. PO ask me -- can u drive a 3 on tree ?? me -- sure !! So I left there n first , hoping to get to 2nd .. lol ;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Only time I ever did was when I drove my '69 home after buying it. Then I subsequently tore the entire truck apart....

Wellhung

Learned to drive in a 54' GMC pick up with a 3speed column shift and own a bronco with one too. I wouldn't trade it for floor shift if somebody supplied and installed it for me.

Loc.
Liberal\Claremore
Learned to drive in a 54' GMC pick up with a 3speed column shift and own a bronco with one too. I wouldn't trade it for floor shift if somebody supplied and installed it for me.

I agree, I have one of each. Auto, floor and column. I really like the auto, the floor is ok, but the column brings a lot of memories back.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Owned several, driven a bunch of them, and you can keep them! Not a fan of 3-on-the-tree. Much rather drive a floor shift manual.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I drove mine as a 3 on the tree from the time I was 12 (in our back yard to my grandmothers house). We lived on 20 acres.

From 1971 until 2006, mine lived as a 3 on the tree. That is until it went under its transformation.

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Learned to drive with one. Like half cab said when they got a little wear on them you have to know how to do a quick realignment.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As a kid I learned on a 3 on the tree. '76 Plymouth Fury. Taught my older brother (who was teaching me how to do doughnuts) how to shift into 2nd while doing doughnuts. Both broncos I have owned have had wore out columns. Those SUCK! But a good working column shift is nic to drive.

The other week I was talking with a co-worker who spent a chunk of his youth in Australia. At one time he had a van with a 5 on the tree. I have heard of (but never driven) a 4 on the tree. I think that is the most we ever got in this country.

My parents '84 Econoline bought new had instrucions in the owners manual for column shift. Apparently the last domestic column shift was the '85 F150.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
In high school, I built a Rail buggy out of a chopped VW pan. Once I got the motor and transaxle built and put in, fired her up for the first time, I jumped in and realized I didn't know how to drive a stick. Had to have a friend take it on its maiden voyage, to check it out.

Never driven a three on the tree, but ridden in a bunch of them, and helped to convert a few to floor shift.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
My Bronco came with a 3 on the tree and that was my first experience with that kind of shifter. I test drove it that way, then after trailering it home I drove it 30-40 miles before I tore the whole rig apart. Now I grind gears with my NP435 and gear banger shifter. Its still no sports car, but I'll take it any day.