• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 sp transmission

G

Is the 3 speed transmission (column shift) any good? Looking at a '68 with this transmission and 302. Seems odd for this type of vehicle; just wondering if it is something I should be worried about. Thanks

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
That's the only transmission you'll find in a stock '68. The 3 on the tree shifter takes a little getting used to, especially if it's worn and loose. Converting to a floor shift is fairly simple and can make a huge improvement in drivability, assuming you don't care about staying totally stock.<br><br>The tranny itself is a pretty strong unit. Many people will swap in other manuals transmissions, but it's usually to gain better gearing (over drive or a creeper 1st gear)

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I loved the 3 on the tree shifting, was nice cause not many could drive my truck. The 3 speed isnt bad, but when it goes, replace it with an auto or nice 4 speed.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
I never had any problems with my 3spd in my 70' or 71' and like the Admin said they do get tricky to shift when the shifter is worn. <br><br>Buy it and convert it to a floor shifter. You'll love it.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Every Bronco made from '66-'72 had a 3 sp/column, I respect that, and I think they're great transmissions, I might've seen one tear up, ever, and it was probably abused. It's a nostalgia thing, I'd keep it on the column.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'm still driving my daily driver 77 with the original 3 on tree. That's right not everyone knows how to shift it!! Younger valets don't bother thinking it's an automatic untill they see three pedals. ;D

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
the floor shifts kit worked well in my 66. When the clutch went i went for the np435. I still have the 3 stuff <br>never know what i might do. ;D

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
For a guy on this web site FREE. I can take it to SOB6 if you want. It may need a bolt or 2 but the linkage and mount etc(all the big stuff is in the back of my bronco)<br>

TMC

Loc.
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Alsroadster,<br><br>You can buy a shift tube kit which includes bearings for about $125. When I purchased my bronco it would'nt shift out of 2nd. Pretty easy to do. It now shifts like a million bucks! :)<br><br>Paul

jasondemitri

Loc.
tacoma, wa
it would be great if i could get it from you, but im not going to sob this year, im getting married on the 7th and i suggested sob for the honeymoon so were going to vegas. you can see how much say i have in the relationship! lol anyways, i could swing down in a couple weeks and chat broncos for a while. i just have to wait till after the wedding, its a little crazy right now.