• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 2 barrel question

IllpaintFox5

Got a rebuild kit for my carb. This little cylinder part on the accelerator pump was a bit shorter then the one that come out and I cant remember why I couldn’t use the original one , but should this be touching or should there be a gap like this ? I forget how it originally was also at full throttle the cylinder Part isn’t fully depressed. At wide open throttle should that cylinder part be fully depressed ? For max performance ?

920098e9c52442be9ab4460f4a601819.jpeg

deeb8383390c4e94bbf4af23d52d4e5f.jpeg

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
Looks like the linkage is connected to the top hole on the throttle shaft lever. I believe it should be in the second hole from the top. That might close up that gap.

OP
OP
IllpaintFox5

IllpaintFox5

Looks like the linkage is connected to the top hole on the throttle shaft lever. I believe it should be in the second hole from the top. That might close up that gap.
Hey man thanks for the quick reply, iv tryed all the holes and it’s barley made a difference In gap ,might try a diff brand accelerator pump and see if it comes with a longer cylinder part. They rebuild kit was car quest brand or something similar . The gap shouldn’t be there right? The accelerator pump should begin being depressed as soon as the throttle is pressed ?

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
There should be no gap and slightly depressed,,, with a fully closed throttle...

fairly common the kits have wrong parts in them more so in the last 10 years or so ...

Do you have the carb ID tag if so the instruction sheet should tell you what hole position ..

and at wide open throttle the accelerator pump is doing nothing ..it is only pumping fuel while the throttle is moving..

OP
OP
IllpaintFox5

IllpaintFox5

Just ran to autozone to get what they had in stock still has the same length bar , I might dig for my old parts , idk if I’ll be able to find that tiny thing though. Do they make motor craft ones ? Or should I modify the little arm thing,
b756915c613b4fca803850ee1e743f5f.jpeg

OP
OP
IllpaintFox5

IllpaintFox5

I use a Dorman 90082 just like that.
8a6251d61a7a9d3205ff444c1d8f8f4d.jpg
Looks like I’m putting my spring in backwards according to this pic, I have the big side of the spring facing the wrong way. It’s came apart quick I’ll try to flip it around.

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
Flipping it around just might solve the problem. The way you have would block the valve from opening up to allow gas to come in

OP
OP
IllpaintFox5

IllpaintFox5

Flipping it around just might solve the problem. The way you have would block the valve from opening up to allow gas to come in
I went over and flipped it just cause I couldn’t stop thinking about it ! lol surprisingly flipping the spring to the correct way had no affect on the round cylinder part and I still had a gap there. Might go ahead and order what armynavy17 suggested .

OP
OP
IllpaintFox5

IllpaintFox5

There should be no gap and slightly depressed,,, with a fully closed throttle...

fairly common the kits have wrong parts in them more so in the last 10 years or so ...

Do you have the carb ID tag if so the instruction sheet should tell you what hole position ..

and at wide open throttle the accelerator pump is doing nothing ..it is only pumping fuel while the throttle is moving..
No ID tag on my carb, mabey I ordered the wrong rebuild kit ? I have a 2100 I believe

OP
OP
IllpaintFox5

IllpaintFox5

The walker one worked it had a longer shaft part but it was all one piece does that matter ? Seems to be working good. Went with the middle hole on the lever part.

d4349d62fa7840e88de86146edf20fcd.jpeg

185d53934323425da10960582d5fdd17.jpeg

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
That’s the original one piece Motorcraft style. Some of the Dormans shipped with two plungers so they could fit different carbs.