• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Oil Pressure High

jdeignan

Hey guys, let me know what you think before I start troubleshooting:

Busted my spliced radiator hose last week, lost all fluid, turned the truck off pretty quick, repaired and refilled.

However, next time I took it out I noticed my oil pressure at 90.
It usually sits around 70 on the stock guage.
Any correlation between the two?
Engine runs fine- what would cause high pressure like that?

Doesnt seem to be a grounding issue. I grounded the wire and the needle pegs beyond 90- ruling out a ground issue.

Whatchu guys got?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like it could be more of an electrical issue than an actual pressure issue.
But you'll have to test it to find out. Either by testing the pressure with an alternate gauge, and/or testing the sending unit and the wiring between it and the gauge.

Overheating the engine wouldn't normally cause that issue. And besides, it doesn't sound like you got it there anyway.
Unless some little extra heat dislodged some gunk buildup inside the engine and it's now clogging the filter bypass or messed up the pressure relief spring, I don't see what else might cause the actual pressure to rise.

See if you can verify pressure first.
Also, did you try disconnecting the wire from the sending unit and turning on the key? Without grounding it in other words? Just to make sure it goes all the way past zero or where it normally sits with just the key on.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock gauge error. It shows you have some oil pressure. The stock gauges are not known for there accuracy.