• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 timing issue

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
I went to check timing on my 302 and can't find a mark on my harmonic balancer to do it. I even brushed it with steel wool to look. What are my options or what to do next?? If i paint a mark on it can I use that at least for reference when advancing or retarding? Lost for ideas here!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Figure out where 0 degrees TDC is on #1, and mark it. You can get a timing light with the advance reading while keeping the mark on 0 degrees. I don't use a light, I just advance it is much as I can and retard a bit when it pings.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
use a vacuum gauge myself....usually pretty accurate

javilamfd

Loc.
Modesto, CA
X2 on the vacuum gauge.

Locate a manifold vacuum source, advance until max vacuum achieved and then retard until vacuum drops. Advance and retard until you achieve maximum vacuum.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Figure out where 0 degrees TDC is on #1, and mark it.

X2. Make sure the outer ring hasn't spun. If it has, replace the balancer. Use Mr Gasket timing tape to re-mark the balancer. It's very handy for checking advance and adjusting valves.

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Harmonic balancer

I had the same problem. I replaced the distributor, checked the timing chain, and painted the marks on the harmonic balancer. I tuned it with vacuum and it ran OK, but something was still not "just right".
Long story short, Viper hit it on the head. My balancer slipped. So I replaced it and, low and behold, the marks were where they are supposed to be, it timed great, and it was "just right".

Moon's

70_Steve

Old Guy
The balancer on my 86 351 was set up for the timing pointer to be on the passengers side. I used a Top Dead Center tool (Summit Racing for ~$12) and found TDC. Then used some timing tape on the balancer. I used a cutoff wheel on my Dremel to make marks at 0° and every 10° up to 40°. Then put a little white paint in each mark.