• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 vs 351 cam in 302

oldiron

Bronco Guru
While I have plans to switch to fuel injection in the future, for the short term I'll be using the factory two barrel intake and my favorite autolite 2100.
I've got the engine out and on a stand almost ready to go. It would seem to make sense to me that changing to the 351 firing order cam would be a wise move now to avoid possible issues later. From what I've read all thats required is replacing the 302 cam with a 351 cam. Is that all? I plan to run a duraspark ignition with a regular 82-84 f-150 distributor for now.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's it. It also happens to be a 302 firing order, just on the HO motors.
There are a lot of 351s running around with the old 302 firing order as well (more cam grinds for the 302 to choose from).

I like the 351 firing order better anyway. Removes the consecutive firing pulses on the first crank journal.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I like the 351 firing order better anyway. Removes the consecutive firing pulses on the first crank journal.

That's probably why Ford changed it on the HO motors after the change to the lighter crankshaft.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Any particular year 351? I want to run a very smooth quiet engine.;)

Audog

So what years was the HO option available ? I ask because my 1970 302 has a 351 firing order and a pretty good lope.......

That's it. It also happens to be a 302 firing order, just on the HO motors.
There are a lot of 351s running around with the old 302 firing order as well (more cam grinds for the 302 to choose from).

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I like the '80-'91 351 PI cam. It's the same as the mid '90s Lightning F150s. It's a flat tappet equivalent of the Explorer roller cam. Smooth idle and good low end torque.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So what years was the HO option available ? I ask because my 1970 302 has a 351 firing order and a pretty good lope.......

It wasn't really an option. It was the version of the 5.0 used in mustangs, explorers, capris, some lincolns and other cars from '82-'96.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said.
But to add some...

Any particular year 351? I want to run a very smooth quiet engine.;)

As for particular year, you're not looking for a used cam are you? If not, then you don't really need to go by year, other than to choose between flat-tappet or roller lifters. Which is where jckkys' info could come in handy.
The cam manufacturers aren't usually making exact copies of the original Ford grinds anyway though, so year isn't important for that aspect. Just a good starting point.
Most, if not all, are making their own more modern profile versions of stock, and their own upgraded versions as well. Which is usually a good change.
In your case, if you just need the basic setup, then just pick a "stock replacement type" cam from the manufacturer of your choice. Just choose flat-tappet or roller for starters. Neither will likely be an exact copy of the original, but will act like it where it counts. Such as the idle and economy.

One area that may change by year, and what you intend to do in the future, is the makeup of the distributor drive gear cut into the cam. A flat-tappet would need one gear material for the driven gear on the distributor shaft, while I would say that almost all roller cams would require the other.
However, if it's an option to convert to roller, you might consider it. Other than the one jckkys mentiond, a later roller EFI cam will have the proper material to mate up with a later Ford TFI distributor, and more likely have a more compatible profile to the cam itself.
The typical Mustang or Explorer (or Frankenstein mix) will possibly prefer a wider Lobe Separation Angle in the 112° to 114° range. That would be found on later EFI 351 and HO5.0 engines.
A throttle body conversion however, would work with just about any profile.

Which brings up the question of what type of EFI you're going to be using?
An aftermarket throttle body setup like the MSD Atomic or Edelbrock E-Street are going to be compatible with your existing distributor and cam material no matter what you use.
A Ford type will utilize the TFI distributor with it's likely roller-only gear material.
There are exceptions for the 351 engines, like the Lightning engine mentioned I think, but I'm not sure about for the 302 based engines.

Here again then (I know, too much info!) you have options. You can change the distributor gear to a compatible material whenever you need to. And you might even be able to source a distributor already set up either way, if you can find that there is a compatible engine that Ford made.

See how much trouble it can be, but also how important it is that you're asking this stuff now? Glad you're at that point where you can think ahead.
It might make your head hurt now, but at least it gets it out of the way so it doesn't hurt when you get around to converting to EFI and need it to run!

Like Viper said, your particular case would be due strictly to a cam change. And a lot more cams are now available in the "351" order anyway. Since it became more popular after Ford changed it somewhere in the '80's.
So no real telling when it was done. But it was never an option on an earlier 302.

Ford started using what we now call the "HO firing order" in the very early '80's I think. Probably started coming into production around '81/'82 or so. At the same time they still had different performance levels for different car and truck platforms, which is why the vagueness regarding exactly when the change happened.

By '83/'84, there may still have been only a couple of the old "302 firing order" engines left in the Cougars and T-birds. Or maybe they'd already crossed over too by that time?
Even that I'm not sure of. They were Speed Density setups instead of MAF of the Mustangs, but that doesn't mean they didn't get the new firing order.
So it's hard to tell without reading a Ford flow chart, or someone here posting up info they snagged upon finding such info.

It's vague, but you don't have to worry about it.
Someone just changed the cam and that's it. Dimensionally they're usually the same. Just the firing order was altered. And you can still get cams with the old firing order if you want.
Like was said though, the newer "351" order is probably just better all around anyway.
It helps when the PO tells you this kind of stuff up front though! Huge help orienting the plug wires when tuning up or trouble shooting. ;D

Paul

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm running a 302 cam in a 351 :O

Comp 35-518-8
274/282, Lift .555/.565, Ford, 5.0L
2,200-6,200RPM

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
That's probably why Ford changed it on the HO motors after the change to the lighter crankshaft.

Someone told me that Ford went to the HO firing order because it made the motor run slightly cooler. Can't say it's true or not but it could make sense.

My dad had the my 302 rebuilt way back in 93 and it sat until 2011. Took me several nights of re-stabbing the distributor and checking timing to figure out the firing order had changed due to the installation of a RV cam for a later model 302. %)

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
The firing was changed because the 302 firing order put excessive stress on the front main bearing. The 302 firing order also causes more vibration, and requires more crank balancing. The larger, and 2 piece HIPO harmonic balancer was used to eliminate the vibrations at high RPM. The 351 firing order takes care of these issues.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
KyleQ - You have a 5.0L HO Roller Cam installed same firing order as the 351w.

Newer / Later firing order (Not older 302) - you're good.

Nice, Stout Cam even for a 351w.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
KyleQ - You have a 5.0L HO Roller Cam installed same firing order as the 351w.

Newer / Later firing order (Not older 302) - you're good.

Nice, Stout Cam even for a 351w.

Yeah - it should roar the tires off in 4WD, topped the motor off with TFS 185 cylinder heads, 42lb injectors, Mustang injection, lightning intakes and Hooker fenderwell exit headers ;D