• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 water pump question

aisawalsh

This might be a stupid question, can a person switch to a driver’s side bottom discharge water pump that has opposite rotation as a standard 302 water pump? Issues with reversing the coolant flow through the engine/timing cover? I might switch to a radiator that from Wild Horse for the Coyote as it will fit my needs better in the engine bay but would need to also switch to a driver‘s side discharge water pump.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You cant reverse flow on a timing cover water pump housing. You need timing cover and pump for the rotation you want. Soon, someone will help explain which ones do what.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Ford pumps that we were talking about are not going to be reverse flow.
They’re simply going to be reverse rotation, but the coolant will still flow into and out of the engine in the same direction.
But yes, that means that the timing cover should match the pump because it enhances the efficiency of the flow pattern.
If the pump fits on the cover, it might not be designed for it, but coolant will still flow through the engine. Just not as well if it’s mounted to the timing cover that has the ports oriented in the correct angles.
At least that’s my limited understanding on it.

But don’t let any of that stop you from getting a pump that has the inlet on the side you want.
You might just have to get the correct cover as well. But that should still bolt straight to the engine just like any other cover would.

(Edit: I left out an important aspect. A reverse rotation pump would be a serpentine pump as was previously described. Just having the inlet on the opposite side does not make it reverse rotation. It’s simply entering and exiting the pump from a different location but still turning in the same direction if it’s a V belt pump. Which I believe is all we were talking about.
It’s still important to match the timing cover to the pump however.)

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As mentioned, I'll repeat...
Flow direction does not change. The hoses connected to the water pump are inlets. Water goes into the pump. Always.
Reversing the rotation is done with a flat serpentine belt and running the back side of the belt on the smooth pulley. This causes the water pump to spin the opposite direction from the crankshaft.

The waterpump is a centrifugal design. As the water comes off the pump there is a bit of spin in it. The timing cover has a radius that directs that spin of water into the block. When the incorrect timing cover is used that radius is about 90° from the proper orientation. The waterpump bolt pattern is the same. But I once had a cover that was used with the wrong rotation waterpump and there was strong cavitation erosion on the timing cover. It had been run for some time that way and was getting close to failure..

Now the driver's side waterpump is a pretty normal for many small block Fords. But there is also the issue that the waterpump shaft is often located a littler higher up than a Bronco water pump. And there are different pulley flange offsets as well.

Oh the joys of the small block Ford accessory drive mix and match, and nothing fits quite right...

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Explorer front dress swap, best way to go in the long run. More work, more $ and better results!

Jim