• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

31 Spinle In Sb Rear?????

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
I Have A 31 Spline Spool An Want To Order The Axles To Fit It My Rear Is A Small Bearing .jbg Has The Axles For This,are There Any Downsides Or Anything Else I Need

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
As long as you get the correct bearing with them it's a piece of cake install. I've been running them for a number of years now, haven't broken one yet although I've tried. ;)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It is kind of like polishing a turd. If you're gonna spend the $$ on 31 spline axles wait til you can also get a BB rear housing. I am in the same boat with the wifes 66. She just got an ARB for up front, but I refuse to waste the $$ on a 28 spline or a SB rear kit to get it set up. I hate to buy the same parts twice, especially the expensive ones.

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
Better off to go with a big bearing. You can get big bearing ends that you can get welded on if you don't want to wait to find an entire housing.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
It is kind of like polishing a turd. If you're gonna spend the $$ on 31 spline axles wait til you can also get a BB rear housing. I am in the same boat with the wifes 66. She just got an ARB for up front, but I refuse to waste the $$ on a 28 spline or a SB rear kit to get it set up. I hate to buy the same parts twice, especially the expensive ones.

%)

First, you don't have to buy shafts twice, just seals/bearings if you go from SB to BB rear. You can use the same shafts in either one. As for whether a SB rear will work, I hear this kind of stuff from a lot of people who've never run them. I've had a built (Detroit, 31 spline alloy shafts) in mine for years and I wheel it very hard. I have replaced the bearings/seals once; other than that it's held up as well as several buddies with built BB axles who I wheel with.