• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351/5.8 w efi question

Miker

Bronco Guru
;) I a
m sure this has been asked before,, but, I got a guy that says he has a '94 F-350 with 62,000 original miles 5.8 motor complete with strong compression in all 8. He said I could come inspect it, drive, listen to etc. AND he said that he would pull it all for me from the truck and include harnes computer statrer alternator etc. pretty much the whole sha-bang.
So, if I check it out and it's as good as he makes it out to be and if hes going to do the labor, I would like to put the trick flow heads on it.
What size injectors would I have to go to for the TF heads? And what are the other issues to be concerned with? Point me to a thread if this has been hashed out before. Also, if all is as described, what would be a fair price for a total running engine with everything included?
Thanks guys!?:?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other than the heads, are you going to leave it stock?
Not sure if you even need larger injectors with just better breathing heads. One size up maybe? If that?

If you're putting this in your Bronco, are you planning to keep the stock upper plenum? If so, do you have a body lift and a hood scoop?
You're likely better off using an adapter and a shorter 5.0 upper plenum so you can clear the hood without all that other stuff
And if you do that, you might just end up needing only the stock injectors.

I don't really know how much of a difference a set of heads would make to your injector's sizing on their own. Maybe someone has direct experience with that, but putting the heads on it and then using the smaller plenum, along with the stock cam and rocker ratio and computer, doesn't sound like it would need much in the way of bigger injectors.

Paul

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
I was wanting to get away with just a one inch bl with a 2 1/2 inch sl. I would like to run headers, a little hotter cam and that would be it. Way out there,,, if the planets all came into alignment, I would put some KB hypers in it and push my comp ratio into the mid 9's. Your thoughts?

I was also trying to find out if if I got all the extras, computer, harness, alt., etc. would all that stuff work or would I have to buy other stuff to be compatible with the EB? Someone told me to get my hands on a a low rise upper and that some of the EB stores sell them for clearance isues.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
What you need is an adapter, as DirtDonk mentioned, to go from the truck lower intake to the Mustang (or car) upper intake. BCB sells them.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=0&products_id=1060

The stock 5.8 lower is a very restrictive manifold so I think you'll be fine with stock injectors. Also 94 trucks were speed density so you probably won't gain much with the TF heads.

I paid about $450 for a complete 5.8 about a year ago (for my son's '96 FSB). That included the engine harness but not the accessories.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
so, if I am hearing you right, to get performance, I need to look to mass air flow instead of speed density? The guy wanted $700 for the whole sha-bang. I think I'll pass. Once again you guys probably saved me some serious coin. A round of bourbon on me!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would pass at $700.
F350 should be 8.3:1 compression engine. Trick flows would be wasted on an engine with that low of a compression.

You con't simply replace injectors and expect the computer to work right. The computer is programmed with the injector size, and after it calcultes the amount of air in the engine it then knows how much fuel goes with it. Knowing the size of the injector it will know how long to keep it on. Simply adding bigger injectors will add more fuel then programmed to put in. Not really a good plan.

It looks like you want a modified 351W. That '94 block is a good pick as it is roller cammed. But the computer isn't a good pick as it does not support changes to the engines breathing. With a little cam and good heads the stock 19Lb injectors from the 351 (or mustang 5.0) will be too small. You will need 24s most likely. Now you are looking at aftermarket chips to program the EEC to handle the added injector. While you are at it, a bigger MAF and the correct MAF transfer table will need to be put into that chip as well.

Now for breathing, the stock truck 5.8 intake will not fit under the hood. 3" body lift and the right hood and a few have made it fit. Not the best of plans. But a 5.8 Lightening intake (GT40 for the 351) works good. There are also some aftermarket car intakes for 351 swaps into mustangs that should works just fine as well.

Ah, the joys of finding all the little stuff that heeds to be changed just to make that one performance part actually work right...

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Yes, I want a 351 Windsor modified and I want it now! But, like dad said "want in one hand and Shi% in the other and see which one fills up faster". How is this for a "strategic plan" Parts I have:
edelbrock 600
edelbrock 351 W performer intake
Cloyes double roller
351 Ford crank turned and polichsed oil holes chamfered etc. with a .010 undersize
I have Ford rods that are in great shape
The block I have is a '69 in great shape but it is bored .060 over and I have not had it sonic tested
I have great shape KB hyper flattops - but they would push me to race gas -arghh
I have cherry totally redone '69 351 W heads with 64 cc's (probably less as the heads look like they have been milled once.
my pair of Trick Flow heads as well.
complete fel pro gasket set.
new water pump
new Mr. Gasket fuel pump.

So, I'm thinking scrap the block and the pistons, get a ??fill in the blank here?? year block. Get some new KB hypers, put in the crank, manifold etc. try to get my comp to low to mid 9's. My thinking is if I could get a strong running sweet motor with a carb for a while,,, I could save my nickles to get the glorious list of needed items for me to eventually take it to the EFI heavens.
Anyone, please chime in. Also, I do want to go with the lower style upper intake when the time comes.
Come on, help a brutha out, Remember, tis the season for giving. I'll take any donations of the needed EFI list of gadgets and doo-dads.
I won't even come up with a cock-a-mamy bullcrap heart wrenchin story for ya. I'm just plain ole' broke like the rest of us.;D %)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to ask if you can get the 5.8 without the EFI stuff for less $$. Thats a pretty low mileage engine. The use all your heads, manifolds etc.
While I agree a 8-1 compression engine is not the best the TFS heads will bump it up slightly. Also your 69 heads should be about 58cc which should bump the compression up about a full point.
Worst case just find a builder engine(junkyard, classifieds ect.) doesnt need to be running condition as long as the crank will rotate and the bore is still stock. Might also visit the local machine shop sometimes they will have builder blocks people have left.