• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cleveland

CattleDrBronco

Has anyone put a 351C in an early Bronco? I am starting a frame up resto on a 1975 and I have Boss 351C that I want to drop it. I am concerned that the larger heads will create a problem with header clearance. I do not want to cut anything.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not sure what has to be changed vs a 351W, but I've seen several 351C in early broncos.

capt. bronco

It's a tight fit, but there are several out there. I used to have a 77 with a 351 Cleveland in it. That was back in the late 80's and the after market stuff wasn't available then. It was hard to keep it cool. But I'm sure someone makes a good radiator now!

SHX669

Bronco Guru
There are several members here that have Clevelands in their EBs including me.
Passenger side exhaust is a little tight. I believe Sanderson is the only mfg. Who makes headers that will fit.
I think a lot of people who have cooling issues with a Cleveland is because they are using the wrong T Stat - It's NOT the same as a 351 m or a 400.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Been done several times. Tight fit in some areas. Personally, I'd sell that Boss engine for big $$$, build a killer EB 351W, and have money left over.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Been done several times. Tight fit in some areas. Personally, I'd sell that Boss engine for big $$$, build a killer EB 351W, and have money left over.

What he said x2

The Cleveland isn't the best choice for a Bronco engine, they have little low end torque due to the huge valves and intake ports which don't flow as well at low RPM.
They are a racing engine that was put into production cars to make them 'legal' by racing rules.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The C is an easy fit. Everything is a bolt up. The Sanderson FC3 is also a good header that fits well. Plus it's made with the big exhaust port flange. The right side is tight with a stock manifold. It dumps out right over the frame rail. There is one stock manifold that works better if you can find it. It has a turn in at the end that gets it off the frame rail. A one inch body lift is a help to clear brake parts. But there are ways around that. Some will say the big heads are too much. I'm not one of those guys. If I had the engine I would run it. Set this engine up correctly and it will work good in a bronco.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
It can be done, and the finished product is a lot of fun.

Mine went in without a body lift so I had to tinker with the throttle linkage to clear the valve cover, altered the hood ribs (reinforced section up front) to clear the distributor, and made radiator hose adapters from copper to avoid hard to find hoses.
Other than that, it was a standard issue install.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
What he said x2

The Cleveland isn't the best choice for a Bronco engine, they have little low end torque due to the huge valves and intake ports which don't flow as well at low RPM.
They are a racing engine that was put into production cars to make them 'legal' by racing rules.

This/\/\.

And what Justin said.....

Sell that rather valuable Cleveland engine and build a Windsor.
You will likely have money left over.

Or......let Bax build that Cleveland right with proper gearing in the eb to keep that engine at its high rpm power sweet spot.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The C does fit, and has little support in a Bronco.

As others have pointed out, the engine is worth more to a mustang restorer then the actual value of the engine. Sell the C and use that to get a nice stroker 351W with a good set of modern aluminum heads.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
You have a Cleveland. You want a Cleveland in your Bronco. A Cleveland will fit in an early Bronco with a little work. Put the Cleveland in your Bronco!

It is probably not the best match to a Bronco - as pointed out by others - but it's a cool engine and rare in an early Bronco. It will attract some attention at shows.

Personally I'd sell the Cleveland and go Coyote! ;D

OP
OP
C

CattleDrBronco

Thanks for the Cleveland Info

Thanks for all of the input on the use of a Cleveland in my Bronco. The Bronco has a 351 W in it now. Maybe I will take your advice and have the W tricked out.;

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I have a C in my '71, love it. Have had it 10+ yrs, never any probs. It's a stock '71 2V, plenty of power, has never ran (terribly) hot. IMO those are really tough engines.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 2 barrel heads worked better than the 4 barrel heads. Even racers spent big $ to get Australian 2v closed chamber heads. The 4v heads had ports that were too big to work well. Bigger isn't always better. One company made a Cleve-or intake to run 2v Aussie heads on a 351 Windsor block that's stronger and lighter than the Cleveland block. A Boss 351C engine belongs in a Mustang restoration.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all of the input on the use of a Cleveland in my Bronco. The Bronco has a 351 W in it now. Maybe I will take your advice and have the W tricked out.;

You wouldn't gain enough by replacing a 351 with a 351

On the other hand selling the Cleveland would make enough money to really trick out the Windsor.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I love the Cleveland in a Bronco. I bought a '69 that had a C installed in it in the early 80's and it has great power and tork, and I think it gets better fuel mileage that a 302. It has 2v heads and a aluminum 4 barrel intake with original cast iron exhaust manifolds. Matter of fact, I like it so much, I'm in the process of doing another C in another Bronco. This ones going to have AFD aluminum 2V heads, Air gap intake, FI tech fuel injection, Sanderson headers, and a top loader 4 speed trans.

Here's a few pics of 'Blur' from 2009 and a little later...

Attachments

• 100_2110.jpg
    100_2110.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2111.jpg
    100_2111.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_2120.jpg
    100_2120.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_2121.jpg
    100_2121.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 1969 Bronco (Blur) 001.jpg
    1969 Bronco (Blur) 001.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Buster Miles Ford Show 2015 107.jpg
    Buster Miles Ford Show 2015 107.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 74

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Swapped in a Cleveland back in '76...ran great, like previously said, all I can remember was a tight fit on the pass side exhaust BUT, go with a 351W block but stroke it. If you thought about putting a Cleveland in you wanted some power so stroke the W and have fun!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id stick with the W you have now. Its in there and you don't have to worry about spending money just to make it fit you can use that money to hop it up. Save the C for a better use. Or sell it.

rmk57

If it is in fact a real Boss 351 engine it should have 11:3 to 1 compression ratio. Not sure how you could run it on todays fuel. Even the regular 70-71 Cleveland 4- barrel was around 10:8 to 1.

Your Boss 351 should have 4 bolt mains on the 3 centre caps, pushrod guide plates and spring cups to go along with the solid lifter cam.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
My brother has a '69 4V 351C in his EB and it works great in everything from high speed stuff to even rock crawling. He's studied quite a bit when he was building it years ago. He seemed to have found the right combination of cam profile, torque converter, gearing, etc to make it work well all-around. It can be done and its a great motor, although I am more of a Windsor fan myself.