• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 EFI set up question

J.K. Francis

OK, I'm getting close to the end of getting this set-up complete. What I am doing is installing a fully rebuilt '96 roller 351 and a 4R70W in a '77 Bronco. The engine is set up with GT40P heads, long tube headers, stock lower intake, BC Broncos adapter and a 5.0 upper. The cam that's in there is an Erson E2212837 that has .544 lift and an intake duration of 286 and an exhaust duration of 294. I have set it up with 24# injectors. My question is: Will the stock '89 - 93 Mass Air EEC be OK or will I have to have it reflashed for this set-up? EFI Guy? Thanks all, Jeff Francis -VA Beach, VA

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
You will need a meter 'calibrated' for 24# injectors. A stock 19# meter should run OK, but not optimally. FWIW, I have a 351w and 4r70w also going in my 71, I'm running 24# injectors, a 19# meter, and a 93 Cobra ECU which is designed for that particular setup.. That's another option for you.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
That cam has quite a bit of valve overlap. I wouldn't expect it to idle very well at the stock idle speed or with a stock tune. I suspect that you will want to visit a local tuner or get a Quarterhorse. But... If you're down to just a little bit of plumbing left then fire it off and see how it does first.

Is the 24# MAF a slot meter?

OP
OP
J

J.K. Francis

Thanks EFI Guy, you sure have bailed out many a project on this forum over the years, thanks for all the good info. Not knowing the difference I assume that a MAF "element" is either in a tube or a slot. This is in a tube. It's a C & L. Educate me a little, what's the difference, which is better for our application? Thanks again, Jeff

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Where's the popcorn?

I normally go off on rants about crutch fixes and lies to the computer. This time I think I will sit back and see how close EFI Guy comes. At least for the tuning part.

Now I do have concerns about some of the parts choices. You have the better flowing (for stock) heads. You are upgrading the cam. But you have a choked intake. That BC adaptor package is something works pretty well on a stock 351, but you are making a better then stock 351. That needs air, but the 5.0 upper is a bit limiting even for a 302. Low end should be fine, but isn't going to have good power above 4000 or so.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Too much cam and injector - keep life simple and get a EFI friendly cam and use 19lb injectors. If the Ford lightning didn't need anymore more than 19's, you don't either... You are not running 1/4 mile slips, so you going to be using the low end of that more 80%+ of the time.

I'm running the same setup with a stock cam and 19's and it runs flawlessly.

OP
OP
J

J.K. Francis

Yeah, Broncobowsher, I am going to be restricted on the top end, but I'm not going to be turning six grand either. That cam is a good mid range cam that will be good on the highway as well as the trail and just enough lope to let you know it's there. I'm not interested in swapping out that thing just yet, I want to see what I got on start-up... I have to drive across country in June with this thing so 2/3rds of this trip is going to be highway, the last 1/3rd is going to be on the trans America trail through Col. Utah, Nevada and Oregon. I don't think that trail is going to be so slow (mostly) that that cam will be a problem... Most of my running around here is in the sand. Thanks all for the opinions. Keep 'em coming...

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Where's the popcorn?

I normally go off on rants about crutch fixes and lies to the computer. This time I think I will sit back and see how close EFI Guy comes. At least for the tuning part.

I honestly thought about going off on the "calibrated" MAF rant. I was kind of hoping you would chime in and do it for me since I'm so slow with the keyboard. You do a better job of getting my thoughts to the keyboard anyway.

The only reason I say to try it as is first is because it sounds like he's close to hitting the key anyway, and everyone likes to chime in on how well their build runs with a calibrated MAF or larger displacement with no tuning.

I actually have a tune on hand for C&L 24# MAF with thin body 24# injectors and a very similar cam. However it's not something I would have faith in selling. Simply re-clocking the MAF a couple of degrees changes the readings quite a bit.

That's pretty common with those MAFs because they sample from the outside edge of the air flow through the meter. They also seem to be the most picky with idle quality when running a cam of that nature.

My go-to MAF recommendation is almost always an OE Ford slot MAF stuffed in a 3 inch tube. It requires tuning but can be pulled from just about any Ford from 05+.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I've built EFI Fords with 19#, 24s, 36s, 42s, 60s.. You can normally always get the stock 19# to run correctly with proper parts. With a "good" meter (and I don't include C&L in that list), a 24# and even a 36# can run alright. They won't be as good as they could be with a tune for damn sure. Anything higher I wouldn't even try. An example, I had a 331 with TFS heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, and a nice 'big' cam, and it ran great. Since my tuner is close and we're good friends and I had a spare SCT chip, I took it to him to have him put it on his dyno. Gained 30hp. I couldn't believe it and it ran EVEN BETTER..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I honestly thought about going off on the "calibrated" MAF rant. I was kind of hoping you would chime in and do it for me since I'm so slow with the keyboard. You do a better job of getting my thoughts to the keyboard anyway.

The only reason I say to try it as is first is because it sounds like he's close to hitting the key anyway, and everyone likes to chime in on how well their build runs with a calibrated MAF or larger displacement with no tuning.

I actually have a tune on hand for C&L 24# MAF with thin body 24# injectors and a very similar cam. However it's not something I would have faith in selling. Simply re-clocking the MAF a couple of degrees changes the readings quite a bit.

That's pretty common with those MAFs because they sample from the outside edge of the air flow through the meter. They also seem to be the most picky with idle quality when running a cam of that nature.

My go-to MAF recommendation is almost always an OE Ford slot MAF stuffed in a 3 inch tube. It requires tuning but can be pulled from just about any Ford from 05+.

Little busy with work this week. Take any of my prior rants, cut and past.