• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 not firing

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

Regarding the wiring of the ignition control module. What exactly is powering the Red wire again? It sounds like you may have it hooked to the coil positive to get it's power. Is that correct?
If so, try to find a better place. I don't know how it's effected by low voltage, but as you can see by the diagram, you want to attach it to full voltage, while only the coil gets reduced voltage. Maybe running both from the coil, especially with older and questionable wiring, is lowering the voltage so much that things are just working erratically.
Again, don't know that's a problem, but it's not quite right either.

Good luck.

Paul

hm... yes i did wire the red wire from the module to the + side on the coil with the red wire that comes out of the firewall...(i think the ignition.) should i just hard wire that to the battery since its right there? or does it need a resistor?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doesn't need a resistor, which is why I thought it might not like being hooked to the coil.
You can't hardwire it though, as it won't turn off with the key.

However, you can do a quick test with a jumper from the battery to the Red module wire to see if it makes any difference.
Never hurts to do temporary testing when it comes to wiring.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

alright paul got a update for you... hooked that ground wire up... and still have a flicker while on the pedal... ... still having trouble with the vacuum also.. if your ever down my way (carmel valley) or around let me know i think i need a senior bronco member to check this thing out

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, I hear a road-trip in my future...
Or is that the Rio Grille calling out my name?

Paul

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

ha rio grill havent been there in a while but just left baja you fly ill buy.......

also i can get it to sound great and rev awesome when its in park but once i put it in gear it lopes out and wants to die

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you build this yourself? If so, how did you adjust the valves? If it's stock heads, you'd simply torque them down and move on, but if they've been modified with adjustable rocker arms, that's a whole new ballgame.
It's a shame to be cranking on it with the starter so much. Do you have a timing light to use to see where it's firing?
Did you try the jumper wire to the module scenario?
As Viperwolf said in another thread, maybe just put a set of points in the distributor (or fork over 30 bucks or so for a rebuild points dizzy, and just get it running that way to eliminate the ignition as a source of your issues.

When you had it running, and it wouldn't go above 1500 rpm (willingly anyway), did you try turning the distributor body to see if different timing might help?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! At least you got it running up at higher rpms a bit. Did you do anything that can be quantified, or was it just that the engine "felt better" today?

What idle speed are you set at in neutral?
Now that you've run it for a bit, maybe you can run it and check for vacuum leaks with some carb spray. Or, if the paint is fresh, use a spray bottle with water.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

idle speed in neutral is at 900.. the machine shop guy told me to keep it at that for a while to break the cam in... when it wouldnt go over 1500 i think it was the timing was way off... i had the whole thing assembled i was going to do the heads my self but then figured i would just have them do it..

fork over 30 bucks??? for wha? im not following..

im going to throw the light on it tomorrow morning to see where its at..... i will also hot wire the box and see if that helps... and check for leaks...

i tried to put the vacuum back on it today after i drove it for a while to the port on the side of the carb.. and it just killed it...

i feel like im getting about the same power... maybe better sound.. that i did with the stock 302..the 302 had headers with a 4 barrel carb with a adapter on the intake to fit the carb ....feels like the engine is there but its not throwing me back like it should ... and im not really sure what rpm i should keep it below for now or what rpm it can handle

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
idle speed in neutral is at 900.. the machine shop guy told me to keep it at that for a while to break the cam in... when it wouldnt go over 1500 i think it was the timing was way off... i had the whole thing assembled i was going to do the heads my self but then figured i would just have them do it..

While the most critical time for the cam is the first half-hour of running (at 2500 or up hopefully), they're not wrong to suggest a higher idle at first. It's probably not absolutely required, but it can't hurt except for shifting an auto tans out of neutral and shutting down the engine. Sometimes a 900 rpm idle will be enough to make some engines run-on for a moment or two after you turn the key off.

fork over 30 bucks??? for wha? im not following..

For a rebuilt points-type distributor. That would be if you couldn't get it running satisfactorily in time to break-in the cam and couldn't let that time be wasted in trying to diagnose a possible electronic ignition issue.
That's all. If it's running now, just ignore that idea.

i tried to put the vacuum back on it today after i drove it for a while to the port on the side of the carb.. and it just killed it...

Gotta keep looking at this. After you get the timing light hooked up, just see what it's doing. There's no way that it's right, and no way that the correct port will do this unless the idle is too high, the butterfly/throttle plate is too far open for another reason, or the port itself is buggered in the carb. You need to find a port/fitting that does not have vacuum at idle.
Here again though, if there is no such beast, then your idle will have to be lowered. Timing reset, carb adjusted for idle-air mixture, and then try again.
The idea here is to have the vacuum signal transition from zero (or near zero) to high, then to full manifold vacuum, varied only by how much load and how far open the carb's throttle plates are.

i feel like im getting about the same power... maybe better sound.. that i did with the stock 302..the 302 had headers with a 4 barrel carb with a adapter on the intake to fit the carb ....feels like the engine is there but its not throwing me back like it should ... and im not really sure what rpm i should keep it below for now or what rpm it can handle

Might be just the new-engine thing, with it being tight and all, but with the way the distributor and vacuum are acting, I'm thinking you're not seeing it's full potential yet. Keep fiddling and tweaking.

General break-in procedures probably apply here. For the first few hundred miles, try to keep it under 3500 rpm "most of the time" while also keeping it under light-to-moderate loads, again, "most of the time". Don't let it overheat (over 230 for a new engine I would say) and try to keep it under 210 degrees as much as possible. Run it at street speeds and in traffic, then run it out on the open road for a bit. Run it through as many heating and cooling cylces as you find reasonable given traffic and location conditions.
When I say "most of the time" though, I mean that during that first 400 to 500 miles or so, just run it up a bit higher every once in awhile. Not too much, but enough to give it a variation. You want your engine to run through as many variables as possible for that time.
Once it reaches 500 miles though, do that more often. Even up close to redline and under a heavier load once in awhile. If it was build up right, it'll handle all this and more. It just likes to see variation on the theme.

What you consider the next milestone is up to you. We used to use 1000 miles as the magic number, but really, these days, you can probably do just about anything you want after 500 miles. The only reason we even keep it lighter and easier for the first few hundred is to let the metal parts cycle with each other to help extend the life of the engine. An engine that's run super hard right out of the box (like any race engine, or Ferrari or Lamborghini engine would be) shouldn't break. It just might not have as long a service life before the rings and things wear out enough to burn more oil and be a little noisier/looser and whatever that entails.
Taking it just a bit easier for the first segment of it's life can extend that wear point WAAAYYYYY down the road.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

Update.... So I took it to the machine shop today and the guy tried to time it.... But he said the mark was off and I need to bring it to top dead center and re mark it..... So he timed it by ear... Also we found another port under the carb that was sucking air... So we plugged both the holes and it's running great... He did a little adjusting on the carb and Said to just leave the distributor vacuum open for now.... He said to call next week ahead of time and bring it I'n and he will help get it dialed....

I'm still kinda stumped on the lights.... I took a look at my cousins 73 today and his alternator has 3 wires hooked to it not including the ground bracket.... I know it's charging because its still firing right up considering the overkill stereo I have I'n it..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still kinda stumped on the lights...

Lights? What about the lights? Oh yeah, we had a light issue too. Forgot about that in all the excitement!
Does your ammeter flutter back and forth too? What about the dash lights? Everything in synchronization?
It's not usually the alternator being hooked up wrong, but usually a bad voltage regulator, bad diodes in the alternator, or some whacky rust issues with the wiring and the connectors.
Time to do some more defective-detective work.

...I took a look at my cousins 73 today and his alternator has 3 wires hooked to it not including the ground bracket...

What are the wire colors?
The wire orientation, harness branch location, connector type and location, were all changed a few times over the years on Broncos and most Fords. The colors have remained virtually unchanged though, so let us know what color the extra wire is and we can probably figure it out.
If it's White w/black it's the Stator wire and is only for the electric choke on the carburetor, and most Broncos didn't have them. Your cousin's '73 shouldn't have one either, but that wouldn't be the first time that reality has not matched the diagrams.
Bottom line though, is you only need 2 wires on the back of the alternator to to make it work in an EB.

...I know it's charging because its still firing right up considering the overkill stereo I have I'n it..

What about using the ammeter as a diagnostic tool? Don't you also see the ammeter showing what the alternator is doing? Is it moving at all? If all is well, you will see a sharp drop to the negative side while the starter is cranking, then a sudden rise to the positive side as soon as the engine is started. Then, as the battery is topped off from it's quick draining by the starter, the gauge needle slowly returns to near zero. It will typically vary between zero and a few amps in the positive range. When you turn on an accessory, such as the lights or heater, you may see a quick drop of a few amps, but it should come back up immediately to normal.
What does yours say?
If it doesn't work, do you have a voltmeter yet? When the engine is running you should see between 13.5 and 14.5 volts, with little variation.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

yeah the ammeter is pulsing also at high/er rpm and all the lights (dash and tach) ... when its at a idle everything is fine.. i tested it with the voltmeter and it shows its charging... the voltage regulator is that box thing on the passenger fender right? maybe ill swap on our parts bronco and see if that fixes anything...