• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 W drop in ?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If you're not changing much else and wanna do a budget build, the GT40s are a good choice. You'll need to get the mounting holes drilled out if you pull them off a 302/5.0.

FTMS

Loc.
Warren, NH
If there's something you want me to take pics of let me know.

Could you take a pic of the boss that needs to be drilled and tap. I figure it will be a lot easier to do it know with everything out and disasembled. My project did not come with a motor in it so I have no idea where the boss is.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Could you take a pic of the boss that needs to be drilled and tap. I figure it will be a lot easier to do it know with everything out and disasembled. My project did not come with a motor in it so I have no idea where the boss is.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you explain a little better? I didn't have anything on my block drilled and tapped, just the mounting holes for the heads enlarged.

OP
OP
Hubba

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
I think FTMS is referring to the boss on the drivers side of the block where the clutch linkage attaches. I noticed you have an automatic so you wouldn't need it

FTMS

Loc.
Warren, NH
That is what I am talking about, but if you have an automatic I am out luck on that one for now.

I am still very early in my build. just trying to gather parts and info.

Casey835

I could be way off here- correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure somebody will! The hole is there on engine for early models. The hole that I had to drill and tap was on the bell housing for factory clutch link bracket for 3spd
eganunaz.jpg

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've been running a 4 speed with a manual clutch for YEARS with only one bolt holding it on to the transmission - it works, just make it tight.

OP
OP
Hubba

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
Just noticed the water pump inlet hose points the opo direction as the 302,
guess I'll have to swap pumps.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
OR run a Explorer $100 lifetime parts store warranty radiator with your Explorer serpentine accessories. Take a look through the end of my build thread - that is the way to go...

OP
OP
Hubba

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
Awesome rig Kyle, I wish I had your talent but I think I will just go with the Napa water pump at just under $30.00. I have a crazy tight budget and a wife that is committed to keep the spending even.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
If you get a intake manifold from a 70s econoline van , you can run a 351 with the stock EB air cleaner and stick exhaust manifolds and NO body lift.

its tight, but it fits.

for the clutch linkage, I just ran a short length of angle iron from the rear exhaust manifold bolt down to the clutch linkage to keep it from moving, works fine.

OP
OP
Hubba

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
I did find a 1976 4V manifold. it looks great, a little elbow grease and some Duplicoler and it will look great. The casting # is D6TE and I think it came out of a van. Is it possible to block off the exhaust cross over tube and should I worry about it?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
On mine the exhaust crossover ports were threaded inside
I just screwed a big bolt in to plug the hole

I don't think any of the vans had a 4 bbl intake
Never seen one
Seen lots of 2 bl vans
Not sure though

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, at least it was from a circa-'76 "Truck" of some kind. Might have been a van or 2wd truck though, as the 4bbl was not available on the 4wd trucks that I'm aware of.
Maybe a cop car engine? Big State Police cruiser maybe? 2-wheel drive F350? Dunno.

In the late-seventies there were not many 4bbl Fords that I remember hearing about. Just "special" equipment type vehicles.

Paul