• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 w swap

BroncoRachel

I need some help from who all has done the 351 Windsor swap. I have a 68, they went to put my 351 w in today and the motor mounts don't line up with the engine perches on my frame. is this typical? fix?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
351W will line up exactly with a V8 frame Bronco.

As stated, if your Bronco was originally an inline six, the engine mount towers are completely different. The six cylinder towers will need to be removed and correct V8 towers welded on in the correct locations.

71 CA Bronco

Could the motor mounts be reversed? I can't remember what they look like.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I need some help from who all has done the 351 Windsor swap. I have a 68, they went to put my 351 w in today and the motor mounts don't line up with the engine perches on my frame. is this typical? fix?

It may look like it won't work if the motor mounts are bolted to the frame or engine when installing the engine.
I had that issue once, but now I just drop the engine in and put the mounts in once the engine is in place.
It's much easier that way.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just to ask you dont have a 351M do you?

X2...and do you know how to tell the difference. Does the engine you have fit the Ford small block bellhousing pattern? FWIW, the 351M/400 engines have the same pattern as a 429/460 and look completely different from a 351W.

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
Curious what motor mounts you are using. I had an issue with one of my Wild Horses heavy duty mounts. Bad batch maybe cause I had to modify it to make it work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the engine is angled back too far (transmission too low) the valve covers will hit the fire wall before the motor mounts line up. Take the motor mounts off the engine. Get the engine in place. Install motor mounts one side at a time. Once the engine is at the correct angle everything will line up.

Same thing also happens to a 289/302 but with a shorter deck it is more forgiving, but still happens.