• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 ??????

cvbfireman

so the guy building my engine has a buddy that just pulled a edlebrock RPM High Rise?? intake off his mustang and he wants to sell it to me since i only have my stock one..... i took a look at it and im assuming im going to have some major clearance issues when i finally put the engine in..... it wont work right? or will it? what type of intake should i be looking for? im not trying to go all out craziness with the engine... anyone got one laying around they need to get rid off?

huntersmky

Loc.
Madison, MS
I had to cut a hole in my hood and add a scoop to get mine to fit. Mine is not a high rise either. That 351 is jammed in there pretty tight. Plenty of up front room but no much b/t the fire wall/hood and actual engine clearance.
so the guy building my engine has a buddy that just pulled a edlebrock RPM High Rise?? intake off his mustang and he wants to sell it to me since i only have my stock one..... i took a look at it and im assuming im going to have some major clearance issues when i finally put the engine in..... it wont work right? or will it? what type of intake should i be looking for? im not trying to go all out craziness with the engine... anyone got one laying around they need to get rid off?

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
A high rise will be too tall if you don't have a body lift. The space is tight even for a 302 with stock intake. I really don't have any good suggestions, as I put a fiberglass hook on mine to clear, and I have EFI. But, I would think a standard Performer intake and a drop base air cleaner. get a 1-2" body lift, if you're up for it. Makes it a whole lot easier to find space under there and elsewhere around the Bronco. The RPM High Rise is more for high RPM's anyway.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

alright cool thats what i figured i have a 3" body lift but i think those are funky.. ill start looking for a performer if you guys know of anyone who has one let me know

thank you

Amac70

ME
the edlebrock rpm is not a high rise unless its an air gap. I run one on mine and it is only slightly taller then a performer. I have a 2" body lift and with a drop base air cleaner i think it would have fit under the stock hood. With a 3" body lift and a drop base i would think it would fit fine.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

sorry i have the body lift sitting in a crate with a bunch of other bronco stuff.. its not on the bronco... looking at the intake in the box it was really high from what my stock one looks like... the guy had it on his Shelby GT 350 but he took it off for a different one with his supercharger....
sorry im completely smart against the diesel engines but when it gets to the older stuff im a little challenged... the guy told me it was a high rise

Amac70

ME
I would call them more of a mid rise, I don't think it was more then a half inch taller then a regular performer. I had them both sitting side by side before i put the rpm on. you can look at them next to eachother on summit the rpm is 7181 and the performer is the 2181. If your motor is built at all i would go with the rpm vs the regular performer. If it is a stock rebuild It would be a toss up to what was in front of me at the time. I think i would still lean towards the rpm.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The RPM is only 1in taller than a performer and I believe that the airgap and RPM are the same hieghts(actually the same manifold except for the gap). biggest issue is the 351W is already 1in taller than the 302 so add another 1in on top of that and air cleaner to hood clearance is a issue. A stock type air cleaner setup off a 302 would work well in that situation. but if you have a body lift you may be fine.
I'd also lean towards running a RPM manifold.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

ok guys sorry i got a little mixed up i just called the guy

it is a edelbrock RPM AIR GAP

so im assuming this is a totally different story... the engine has a mild cam its been balanced bored and stroked..... im not looking for huge power gains or anything crazy my buddy bought the engine had all the work done for his mustang and then started to think it was way to much power for the car. so he called me and said if i wanted to get it assembled he would trade me for my 302.... soooo what type of intake do you guys recommend ??

broncosam

Bronco Guru
The Edelbrock RPM was designed to work better at higher rpm than the Performer if I'm not mistaken.

Amac70

ME
from what i have read the 302 air gap and rpm are the same hieght but the 351w air gap is slightly taller then the rpm. Anyway you slice it, it will be a tight fit unless you have body lift and or hood scoop.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Air gap Manifold height: A-5.31", B-6.19"
RPM Manifold height: A-4.30", B-5.30
Performer Manifold height: A-3.40", B-4.75"

Looks like the air gap is quite a bit taller so it might be a hard fit in a bronco without a body lift.
Yes the RPM manifold was designed to make more power at higher RPM funny thing is that in several dyno tests I've seen the RPM made more power than a performer at low RPM's as well on the exact same engine.