• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W and 4r70W

clc900

Anyone care to help me out that has experience with the installation? I am going from a 351W/C4/D20 to the same 351W but using a 4r70W and a NP205. I have the tranny and Tcase mated up and now I need to put the tranny on the back of the windsor. Is it a bolt up deal? I assume I use the stock 4r70W converter with the C4 flexplate? I didnt get any wiring with the tranny. Does the baumanator have all the connectors that I need or do I need the tranny connectors to plug into the baumanator?

Seems I remember something about using a different balancer or a different crank pulley or something like that.

What headers can I use?

Can I use the auto column shifter that I used for the C4?

Is there a tranny crossmember that will work or will this have to be a custom piece?

Thanks for any info!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
C4 flexplate works if trhe converter bolt circle is the same.
No balance change.
Stock 4r70 converter works great
Baumann can be ordered with plugs
I used 289 K-code manifolds
Custom crossmember, maybe ZF?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I believe I called Tom's about their ZF crossmember and they said it wouldn't work. Or that it would but it would require more modifications that it would be easier just to make one.

definitely pay the $100 or so for the Baumannator full harness. It is plug and play. Just make sure they know what year transmission you have as some of the plugs changed like the VSS

here's my 4R70W build thread:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139552

there should be some good info on the first page including the headers I used

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Your C4 stock column shifter can be modfied to work, but will not work well as it is. The throw between each gear differs a liitle form the C4 and in stock form the shift arm on the 4R70W is pointing up, which means that "P" is towards the back of the tranny. This is the opposite of the C4. You can turn the shift arm 180 degrees, but on mine it interferred with the front drive shaft. I modified a bell crank from a Mercury that had an AOD. It's a little trial and error to get the arms on the bell crank right so that all the gear positions line up on the stock column. Look in my gallery and you'll see 2 pictures of what I did. It's a lot of trouble and probably took me longer to get right than anything else in the conversion. I'd probably take a hard look at a Lokar floor shifter now.

I think all the 4R70w's were cable shifted, so another, probably better, solution would be to modify your column to use an Explorer cable shifter. "Flousberg" has done this well.

On the crossmember, I would say make your own, but wait until the whole drivetrain is in to take measuements and design it. There are many ideas and approaches to this. I made plates that bolted into the frame in the stock location and then used some 2x2 square tubing to mount the stock 4R70w tranny mount to. The spring bushings I used on the ends at the frame mount are a little overkill and probably unnecessary. Do the "Bax" style doughnut type bushing and mount for the np205 to the frame.

Remember that the higher you raise the 205 the more issue you will have with drive shaft angles. The lower you mount the TC the less clearance you have at the firewall for your engine. I have about a 1/4 inch clearnce between the drivers side cylinder head and the fire wall. At full droop, my front CV starts to bind. The rear is relatively easy to adjust the pinion angle, but the front is another story.

BTW, I used the C4 flexplate and stock 4R70W converter and it works well. If you plan on doing alot of slow offroad stuff, get a big tranny cooler.

OP
OP
C

clc900

Thanks for all the advice. I just read Dan's thread and have no clue about a VSS and a TPS. Do I need these? What are they? How do they work? What do I need? Im lost on electronic stuff. Any help?

Thanks!

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
VSS and TPS are EFI sensors.

I'd guess that you are carbed if you did not already know what these were , so no , you won't need them.

VSS = vehicle speed sensor
TPS = throttle position sensor

OP
OP
C

clc900

Yes I am carbed. I was hoping not to use them. I thought I read how Dan fabbed a bracket up to use a TPS on his carb. Was this required as part of the Baumanator install or just something extra?

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
You'll need a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) for the Baumann controller to properly manage your electronicall controlled 4R70W. Check out Baumann's website. They offer a solution for the TPS on a carb'd motor. OEM's used them on computer controlled carb'd engines. I had an 84 Bronco that had one on it.

As far as the VSS, it's part of your 4R70W and it will play a part with what ever electronic controller you go with. I would highly recommend the Baumann controller.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 4R70W and Baumann don't use a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). It uses an OSS (Output shaft Speed Sensor). It is almost the same thing. Key difference is it reads the shaft speed before the transfer case. So the speeds will not read right when in low range. Neat part is it doesn't matter what gear ratio(s) you run for low range.

For all pratical purposes the Baumann looks at TPS (where the gas pedal is) and OSS (how fast things are moving) and then selects the right gear for you to be in. Without those 2 things, it can't figure out what gear to put you in.