• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W--Cam & explorer serpentine conversion--which timing chain?

Goldhawg

All--
I am replacing the cam on my 351W (69 or 70 block per the PO) and doing the explorer serpentine conversion and I wanted to replace the timing chain at the same time. Looking at the timing chains online and they have two different versions, one for a 1 piece eccentric and another for a 2-piece eccentric. Given I'm going to have to delete the eccentric for explorer w/electric fuel pump does this really matter? I believe my earlier block must be the one piece if it does matter, can you confirm?

Also, while searching online I saw this:
Two different length dowel pins were used in the front of the cams in 221-351W engines. In 1972 and earlier engines, a longer (1.375”) dowel pin was used so that it would extend through the one piece fuel pump eccentric used on these engines. The 1973 and later engines utilized a two piece fuel pump eccentric which required a shorter (1.125”) dowel pin. If no eccentric is used, a thicker than standard retaining washer must be used to make up for the thickness of the eccentric. The cam gear MUST be pulled tightly against the snout of the cam. If the gear is not tight against the step at the front of the cam the bolt will come loose and engine failure is sure to occur.

If this is true, anybody know what washer is the right size?

Thx much

Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I believe the 2 piece eccentric is for mechanical fuel pumps. I don't think it matters. I converted my 71' 302 over to the exploder setup, and simply removed the eccentric from the front of the cam. The thing to watch for is the cam bolts have a special skinny head to clear the cover. If you have a regular bolt in there it won't work. New cam bolts are easy to find at NAPA, or another good parts house. I would suggest a good double roller design chain. If your not sure what to use, then go with a later 96' 5.8 timing chain. That should get you close...

I'm sure others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Oatmeal

The face of the cam gears are different for the two different fuel pump eccentrics but, if you're deleting the eccentric anyway, it dosen't really matter which one you use.--------Hans

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The face of the cam gears are different for the two different fuel pump eccentrics but, if you're deleting the eccentric anyway, it dosen't really matter which one you use.--------Hans

That is correct.
replacment cam will have both short and long pins, use what you need. Just make sure there is a washer under the bolt head and the washer covers at least part of the dowel pin. Also make sure the bolt is short enough not to bottom out in the cam

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Make sure the pin is short enough so the washer sits flush. It's a good idea to measure the clearance between the bolt head and inside timing cover too. Mine initially hit the cover until it cut the bolt head down.

Attachments

• Bronco 007.jpg
    Bronco 007.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 41