• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W Camshaft recommendations?

Tram

Bronco Guru
I was planning on rebuilding my C4 this winter, that's probably happening in the next week or two, so I am looking at converters for the C4 and I know how tightly the cam and converter are tied, so I'm thinking about maybe a cam and some GT40P heads.

I know people often talk about the "RV" cam, but I know nothing of it and I've tried to search, but "cam" is too small a word. About to hitup the "camshaft" search now.

I'm sure this is an often asked question, but can someone point me in the right directions for a nice off road suitable cam for the 351W?

I'm running 35's at the moment and will either stay there or go to 33's with the next set. The Bronco is an off-road toy. While it needs to be streetable, it'll be mostly play. A nice, obvious lopey cam would be nice. No need to sound friendly. :)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Tram,

You are on the money with the logic about the camshaft / torque converter complimenting each other - its real and its important.

Are you looking for low end torque and power or upper range power?

First, there are lots of good cam manufacturers - I personally use Lunati or Comp Cams

Check out both of their websites and go through their cam selection process - it is easy, fun and educational.

I personally went with Comp Cam on my latest build and used their 268XE camshaft in conjunction with a Hughes 2500 RPM converter. Very pleased. I also converted my valve train to adjustable with roller rockers and very pleased with that also.

Each manufacturers site will give you cam specs, related components to use, RPM power band ranges, torque converter recommendations, etc. I as well as others can recommend camshafts and converter combos but I believe you will have more fun and appreciate your end combo result more by going through the process I mentioned above. I would recommend going with hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller though unless you are in to adjusting valves.

Comp Cam also has a application on their site where you list your vehicle details (weight, cubic inches, fuel delivery, head type, exhaust, etc) what you are looking to achieve, what kind of idle you want and on and on and will recommend at least 8 - 10 camshafts that suit your criteria - GREAT tool!!

Good luck - happy shopping

DJs74

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tram - You did not say what year 351w Block you have??? "RV Cam" means nothing to me as well.

Earlier 351Ws have the Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cams. For this application I would go with a Comp Cam XE262H. This cam in a 351w would have very nice low end torque and plenty of RPMs as well.

Later 351w (F4TE Blocks) have the Roller Cams installed from factory. For this application I would go with a Comp Cam XE264HR. Again, very nice low end torque with plenty of RPMs too.

Will need the complete K-Kit for either application. This kit includes all the matching valve train needed with no guess work and hunting around for the correct parts.

I would also go with 4.11 gears with 33s which would really help a lot.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You also need to consider that converters and camshaft choices are also tied into axle gearing and tire size.

RV cam is kind of a marketing scheme that was used by some manufacturers at one time. But in real terms it mostly means a cam that is commonly used in trucks because of its low end power. many of the companies will list them as good for towing or get this RV's.:eek: Usually you wont need different converters or gearing with them. Assuming your current gearing is correct for your setup to begin with.
If you look at edlebrocks performer cam for your engine the specs it has will be about what you want. Many people use that cam and are happy with it. Each cam company does there own little thing. You can get a cam with similar specs from about any company. Some have a lopey idle but really make no more power than the next cam that doesnt lope as much.
While I've never ran a comp cam Im not to keen on them. Plenty of guys like them tho. I like crane cams and would probably use a edelbrock if I couldnt get a crane. But there are lots of companies out there so its your pick.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I've got a 71-74 351W. Date code: D4AE-6015-AA7.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
I'm not sure about the others above me but I like a little more cam and a looser converter then most. I would say a converter in the 2.5-3k range and a cam with around 220-224 duration at .050 duration on the intake and 228-234 on the exhaust, the small block ford heads are weak on exhaust and such so they love the split duration. seeing how it is mostly going to be play the larger cam and looser convertor will really compliment play time yet be completely streetable, heck my large solid roller cam motor with big heads and 3500 stall is still very streetable to me, but hey I'm a little more aggressive about motors and can tolerate some issues more than others.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool::cool::cool: I run a 69 351W and use Erson cam TQ works good for me put it in back in 85 never a problem. Have had 2 comp cams fail wont use them good luck with your choice.%)%)%) Bill :D:p:cool:

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure about the others above me but I like a little more cam and a looser converter then most. I would say a converter in the 2.5-3k range and a cam with around 220-224 duration at .050 duration on the intake and 228-234 on the exhaust, the small block ford heads are weak on exhaust and such so they love the split duration. seeing how it is mostly going to be play the larger cam and looser convertor will really compliment play time yet be completely streetable, heck my large solid roller cam motor with big heads and 3500 stall is still very streetable to me, but hey I'm a little more aggressive about motors and can tolerate some issues more than others.

I don't mind a bigger cam or stall. I used to daily drive a 224/224 .563/.563 on 112LSA with a 4000 stall. It's not a DD any more, so it needs a new cam..

I need to sort out a decent heads/cam on this 351W on a medium budget.