• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w exhaust that I can install

DC_Gearhead

So I'll start with this.....I can't take my Bronco to a muffler shop. I live in the heart of DC. I don't want to drive drive to a muffler shop with straight pipes and get pulled over without tags. That being said...

Does anyone have ideas for an exhaust system I can install myself? All of them I see are 302 systems. My spec: 351w with exhaust manifolds, 2" body lift, 2.5" suspension lift. Despite all the good feedback I don't want 2 into 1. I want duals but I'm pretty flexible on the mufflers other than not quiet. I want Congress to hear when I drive around.

I'd love a kit that bolts up but I can and do weld. I've thought about just buying a 302 kit and modifying it. Has anyone done that. The heads are wider on a 351 so it seems like as long as I don't get an H or X pipe it should install the same. The pipes would just be a little wider.

Thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Duff system is easy to install. Has three choices of muffler. True dual set up. You can do it in your garage. Give them a call.

And yes for a Windsor. 30 years ago that was their exhaust system selling point. If you upgraded to a Windsor in the future it would still fit.

Check into their Vortex muffler. Cool sound. No drone.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought my headers then built the rest. It's pretty loud--I'd guess 98-100 db @ 3K RPM @ 24". I went with Super 44's but they have ones that are quieter.

I really like the sound but it's an attention grabber. Maybe just a hair too loug. Details on what I did are in my sig.

wZ19zWtyEsyoMMyK29Z65pgSDXVfBA9SvaIXEAxIHl6OfYCWoYEGeR3QH02YbV7yLzWlrvCKhDR2fvV-0PXAn359LLQKQr7HsPF_li2x045Xpti2zxPxmZFrdMBKlKwIrASYITxXSbD7--u6BWGK1rLDsFc6nWIilZ_xEu5Cyn3vCFwXUY4k9uCxQ9gxtTBoDgKqmwUDC9VBDJHZE5pmcepeJuw6IaRviZ3FTgR9uzeEU79LEbqwrC8QUHvnwA_Q-D0CdI8nV_4WNdnZuOUZMk9Uw-CU42qEaTzWbp33UDS48h6QGYfAixJmi8VniGzUB37R3z2wCz0U_UIYRq3D6X-zrxOUSUCaZcvaf5ucT7vm-ePsu1hu0NxwJibj1y6_Xggs3JEuk3zdpz4ZDQ832_VnoFaXUaILwu-ra3nEuxuvMIo7194pMyVbSjSP3p_YO7wMVXRqfFJEIS2plKR2actoH2CP-e0pPdqJJ53DKVk2QoglQgentr5CUJFCds5yihkPBA-6RI0m_SNcriGwCU0nSojj8v-EloJrn80bz0jqZrJJUzutjgkjCG60mqqjEU4F5ah-ce5d383vv8qLreR3KeyMcXMJc7and4FNJDNSa955ISYZqCw1fA=w1470-h828-no

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
I run duff ceramic headers with their dual exhaust kit. All installed in my garage on a 351w

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Remember, 351 can use 302 heads so the exhaust flanges/headers mount right up. Your only difference is slightly wider and higher placement of the heads. Needs slightly longer tubes.

Also, I've never been asked why the vehicle needed to be towed by any towing service which has towed my truck. Ever. If they do, say it's illegal to drive it like this.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
You can also buy the mufflers you want and then use a small piece of pipe to connect it to the headers and drive it quietly to the muffler shop. Thats what i did

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

OK. Thanks for all the good ideas. I got my solution after a few dead ends. No bueno for Tom's, Jeff's, or BC. I called Duff and they said their system works fine with a 351w. They build all of their systems in house, so that makes me feel good as well. Duff has always been my go-to, but when I didn't see 351w listed on the system, I panicked. Apparently they just want you to call so they can discuss your modifications and insure it fits on your 351w. I have the 3-speed, with non-GT40 heads, and manifolds, so all is good for their exhaust kits. Good news! Thanks for all the good feedback. I decided to go with the Cherry Bomb Vortex. I'll let you guys know how it sounds.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Length of cheap flex pipe. Weld to a flange off the old exhaust. Hook up to the mufflers you plan to use. That will get you to an exhaust shop.

OR a tow truck. Shop around, tell them you just want a project transported to a muffler shop and looking for a good price. Typically they make money of crisis, wrecks, broke down and need towing ASAP. Dealing with people with little choice. You, have time. There will be places that won't want to touch it unless you are plopping down hundreds of dollars. They don't care. They are after the quick easy buck. Better places will realize you are flexible and can work you into a return trip.

Or do you know anyone with a trailer you can load it onto and trailer it down there?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
PLEASE do...might be in my future as well

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
going to have to get my exhaust done soon too, but I will drive mine with open headers;D or just go buy a new wire welder hmmm