• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w headers

74redone

Loc.
Milan
I have a 74 bronco that I'm swaping out the 200 6cyl. three speed for a rebuilt 351w with a c4. I've only had one run in with headers and it was a leaking nightmare. Is there any headers out there that fit right and seal right?

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I used Heddmans from Tom's, with some soft aluminum seals I got at a local speed shop. I have had great luck with them, however next time I will use the locking hardware, I believe it is called "stage 8" or something like that. I had a leak I found earlier this week, but I began by checking the bolts and sure enough, they were ALL loose. After tightening, no more leak.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
With the 351w you need to make sure whatever headers you buy clear the shift linkage. Not aa real big issue but check archives for what guys are running. As far as leaking I've had the best luck with copper gaskets at the head and the aluminum ones at the collector. With the copper gaskets you need to put some black rtv on both sides and no problems. Without the rtv they will leak.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've run Hooker fenderwell headers for years with no leaks and only used the paper gaskets with them at the head. I have also used the aluminum gaskets at the collector they also work very well.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Ran the duffs for 10+ years with paper a the heads and collectors and never had a problem with them. I'm currently running the BC headers with the Alum. gaskets at the heads and collectors and they seem to be sealing just fine though I did need to re-torque them the normal 3 times till they finally set in which I think is due to the alum gaskets but so far so good.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
I've run Hooker fenderwell headers for years with no leaks and only used the paper gaskets with them at the head. I have also used the aluminum gaskets at the collector they also work very well.

:cool: :cool: :cool: I call them wheel well but the same this last set I put on in 86 still working good paper gaskits no leaks Havent put a wrench to them since I finshed putting them on. The trick is make sure the seal on the header is clean and no burrs get the gaskit wet put them on torque and start and run motor about 10 min. shut it off and re torque and let cool then check it one more time and you are done good luck with your's.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: :D :p ( Hooker # 9814)

nephic2

Loc.
Buffalo, Wyoming
Rumor has it that if your running a 351 the headers off of a 5.0 mustang will fit. the advantages being that they are shorties. The other advantage, they're super cheap on ebay. I didn't use them, I'm running a 302 with duffs, but you may want to look into it. I have no Idea why, but was told that the mustang headers don't work for 5.0 because of a clearance issue, but do work for the 351. If anyone has the answer as to why I'd be interested in knowing.