• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W SEFI - It runs, it runs, it runs!!!!

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
After an enormously long time in the making, I finally heard the beast roar to life today at 1600 (4 pm for non-military folks).

The procedure would have been comical to watch. Everything hooked up, the key turned to "on", wife, with one hand grounding the fuel pumps at the test circuit, somehow holding two fire extinguishers at the ready....fuel pumps engage and I am running around and rolling under the truck frantically searching for high powered fuel leaks, images of a massive fire in the back of my head.

Whew, no leaks....now on to phase two. Start the truck. It comes to life....and then stalls. Try again and it runs a little better.....must be the computer learning....idles settles down a little and it stays running.

It smells bad! Remind wife that it is not running rich, I'm too smart for that.....ah, yes, the new BCB headers and exhaust are burning off there coatings.

I let it run for awhile checking the temp and fuel pressure, looking (albeit less frantically) for leaks...idle gets a little better.

Initial observations:

1. Fuel pressure is 34psi at idle, rock steady. Should it be higher?
2. Idle still lopes a bit. I do not have an agressive cam at all, should be rather mild. Probably still the computer learning.
3. Codes that I pulled are 81, 82, 84, 85 which should be normal with the RJM harness.
4. HP fuel pump had no issue drawing fuel from the tank (WH 24gal). Took about 10 seconds on initial priming to get 34psi at the rails.
5. All the injectors are firing. Heard them ticking using a metal rod.

Still left to do:

1. Get O2 sensor bungs welded in. Can I drive, as is, for a few miles to get to a shop without them?
2. Finish hooking up the BCB EFI throttle cable. I hate cutting the cable and getting it to go into the little end bracket thingy, always fray the cable (from doing this on the carb throttle cable).

I want to thank alot of people for their assistance with questions from this board (saddleup, Nickstrix, Labbster, etc)

Pics are from today.

Previous threads:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80131
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79114

Bill

Attachments

• EFI.JPG
    EFI.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 319
  • EFI Front.JPG
    EFI Front.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 445
  • EFI Side.JPG
    EFI Side.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 482
  • EFI Side2.JPG
    EFI Side2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 540
  • HP Fuel Pump.JPG
    HP Fuel Pump.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 405

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Once the O2 sensors are hooked up it will probably smooth out some. Also be sure it's at 10 degrees on the timing. No problem driving it a few miles to the exhaust shop. 34 PSI sounds about right. Perhaps just a little low but I don't think it will effect anything. (I think mine runs about 3 psi higher) Check the Probst book to make sure though.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Thanks guys. Timing was set at 10 with the spout unplugged. I just checked my TPS and it was at 1.07 at KOEO. Got it to go down to .98. See if that helps the idle a little. I think I just need to get it out on the road and the O2 sensors in and get some time with it running for the computer to learn.

Labbster

Absolutely AWESOME! Congratulations, that is one huge step! I feel inspired to get working on mine again. I haven't touched it for about 3 months. Again, congratulations!

PS - You aren't coming to Kansas any time soon are you? ;D

ak68

cutting cable

Would it work to heat and add some solder to where you are going to cut before you cut? I have used solder after the cut when I can get all the wire ends together right.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
ak68 said:
Would it work to heat and add some solder to where you are going to cut before you cut? I have used solder after the cut when I can get all the wire ends together right.

What I have heard that works well, and that I will attempt today, is to use superglue over the area the you will cut. Supposedly, it gets into the metal fibers and holds it all together. Can't hurt to give it a shot.

Thanks

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Labbster said:
Absolutely AWESOME! Congratulations, that is one huge step! I feel inspired to get working on mine again. I haven't touched it for about 3 months. Again, congratulations!

PS - You aren't coming to Kansas any time soon are you? ;D

I had not touched mine in a long time. Got a week of leave and knocked it out. Great feeling. Now get back to work on yours and post more pics (we all like pics).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Check for vacuum leaks. That can lead to stalling (at startup) and rough idle.
34PSI sounds right for idle with the pressure regulator hooked up and working right.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
70EB said:
get some time with it running for the computer to learn.

If its stock and you get everything wired up right and sensors adjusted properly there will be no learning involved and it will run just as smooth as can be. Its probably your O2s causing the loopy throttle.

cheesenip73

DO you have a body lift? and would your setup fit under a stock hood with a 2" body lift on it? I don't know much in this area.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
If you have a good set of wire cutters the cable will cut smoothly with no fraying, test the cutters before you cut on a long end of the cable if there is one. My brand new craftsmen dikes barely could cut it, went to the truck and got a 5 year old pair of klein dikes and they cut right through clean.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
cheesenip73 said:
DO you have a body lift? and would your setup fit under a stock hood with a 2" body lift on it? I don't know much in this area.

I have the WH new body mounts with the built in 1" lift. I am also running a proflow fiberglass hood. I am also using a 5/8" spacer between the upper and lower intake. It would be a tough fit with 2" body lift and stock hood. I attached some side photos so you can see the height.

Attachments

• Rear 351W GT-40 Cobra2.JPG
    Rear 351W GT-40 Cobra2.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 351W SEFI Pass Side Clearance.JPG
    351W SEFI Pass Side Clearance.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 351W SEFI D Side Clearance.JPG
    351W SEFI D Side Clearance.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
For those thinking of the 351W SEFI swap, I used the explorer fuel rails. I believe mine were off a 96. The later ones do not use a return line.

Explorer fuel rails placed the FP regulator on the correct side and the inlet/outlet on the driver's side rear of the intake.

I extended the stock lines with rubber EFI rated hose and EFI specific clamps.

Attachments

• Explorer Fuel Rails.jpg
    Explorer Fuel Rails.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 135
  • New Hose.JPG
    New Hose.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Rear of Intake with explorer fuel rails.JPG
    Rear of Intake with explorer fuel rails.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Rear of intake with explorer fuel rails2.JPG
    Rear of intake with explorer fuel rails2.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 183

crawln68

Bronco Guru
That looks awesome. I just got my new engine running too so I can relate to your thoughts running through your head upon first start up. Awesome job! I bet that is going to be fun to drive. :p

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
crawln68 said:
That looks awesome. I just got my new engine running too so I can relate to your thoughts running through your head upon first start up. Awesome job! I bet that is going to be fun to drive. :p

I have been lurking on NORCAL Broncos and watching your buildup and engine update. Very nice job. That thing is going to be a runner. After seeing yours, it is a great compliment from you. Thank you.