• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w swap guied

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
There are tons of threads on it, off the top of my head you will need a oil pan&pickup tube, alt & ps adapters( all the vendors sell em) and matching imbalance motor-28oz to 28 otherwise it bolts in pretty much the same. there is a hood clearance issue with some carb,intake combos and the exaust ports are a little higher.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Easy swap. Lots of variables though. The motor mounts and bellhousing match the 302. The motor is slightly taller due to the taller deck height of the 351.

The accessory bracket adaptors work, but if you're swapping motors its a great time to swap over to serpentine. The various 302 serpentine accessories bolt to the heads directly and do not require adaptors. I much prefer serpentine for the simple fact that you have a tensioner.

If you're carb'd there are only a few stock style manifolds that I'm aware of that will allow you to squeeze everything under the stock hood. A body lift helps. I have a 2" BL, a Ford Racing 351w aluminum intake and a Qjet with adapter plate. I needed a drop-base air cleaner with a 2" element to fit under the stock hood. I doubt you could squeeze EFI under the stock hood with no body lift.
The oil pan and pickup that Summit sells for swapping in a 351w to a foxbody mustang works pretty well in a lifted Bronco.

As I said, lots of variables...

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You can squeeze it in, with no mods if you use the intake from a Econoline van.

the econoline oil pan also fits..

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is an article on the 351W swap from a past issue of Bronco Driver Mag.

Attachments

• 351W Install.pdf
    117.3 KB · Views: 68