• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35s on 3.5" overall lift?

broncobuddha

Currently have 33 x 12.50s on 15" wagons (see pics for current clearance) with an older Duff's 2.5" suspension lift and original body mounts.

Was wondering if I do the WH 1" body lift (with new mounts) that I have here in the garage if could I fit 35s?

Thanks!
0f160a8fb24dd0b71cafeeda1afcd3eb.jpg
ed3d18ac9482ff3c047126ac577f08af.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
My trail Bronco has WH 3.5" SL with the 1" BL and I'm running 37x14x15 Irocs so I would think 35s would fit.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can always move your bumpstops and/or push your flares up to the body line if needed. I'm currently putting 37's on mine with 3.5" SL and 2" BL and maximizing articulation, so you're not out of the realm of possibility...or anywhere near it IMO.

Time for some rocker protection me thinks.

AZ73

Bronco Guru
You can fit 35's with your current set up. A 35 is <= 1" taller at the wheel well. 35 diameter = 17.5 radius. 33 diameter - 16.5 radius. Remember, only half the increase in tire size goes into the wheel well, the other half goes towards raising the height of the Bronco off the ground. I'm running 2.5 SL and 1 BL (3.5" total) with 35 X 12.5 X 17. Mind you I don't have all the weight back into the Bronco (glass, seats, roll bar) so it's sitting a little high, but there's plenty of room. If I didn't have the BL (needed for the air cleaner) I'd still have plenty of room.

Attachments

• 63070907105__C17A0DEE-FB08-45DD-9367-B8FEACA662F9.jpg
    63070907105__C17A0DEE-FB08-45DD-9367-B8FEACA662F9.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Awesome, thanks all!

AZ that's how I hope mine will look. If you notice in my pics, whomever did the flares/fender cut, IMHO cut could have gone further toward the rocker, in the rear and likewise in the front. I can always do that if I have to.

Apogee, yeah, those have been beat up for a good while now. My plan at some point is to just zip them off and weld in some 2x4 steel tubing to assure I don't bash anything further into the door frame.

The next question is am I still good (on 35s) with stock standard bearing (not large) 28" spline axles?

AZ73

Bronco Guru
The next question is am I still good (on 35s) with stock standard bearing (not large) 28" spline axles?

Well I can't speak to the bearing (I got lucky and mine came with big bearings) but with your 351 and the 435, the 28 spline might require a gentle touch of the throttle depending on your ratio.

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Well I can't speak to the bearing (I got lucky and mine came with big bearings) but with your 351 and the 435, the 28 spline might require a gentle touch of the throttle depending on your ratio.

Should've mentioned I'm running 4.11s.

And you wouldn't think of it looking at her but here lately she's been 90% street, 10% offroad. Though I am looking to get out in the woods more. Definitely not a trailer queen.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
you can fit 35" tires as is.. clearance it as needed if any..

bchesley

I run 37's with only 3.5 inches of lift and don't have issues. It all depends on how you trim the openings....

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some 35 s run a little short too my bfg AT are close to 34s than 35s
I run a 3.5 SL and a 1 SL and have plenty of room
Kinda thinking of putting it down to a 2.5 SL with the 1 bl

omureebe

I'm surprised no one is talking about the geometry and caster. I have 3.5" suspension lift with 1" body lift and 33" tires. its a FIASCO. 7 degree bushings a must.... so I'm going t-rex and 4 degree so it'll drive safely.

bchesley

I'm surprised no one is talking about the geometry and caster. I have 3.5" suspension lift with 1" body lift and 33" tires. its a FIASCO. 7 degree bushings a must.... so I'm going t-rex and 4 degree so it'll drive safely.

I have posted the solution several times but it rarely gets used. Cutting and turning the knuckles is the only real solution. I rotated my outer C's 10 degrees and now have a rig that drives better than a stock original. If you want to know how you can search my post and I have a lengthy thread with pictures on how to do it. I did mine in an afternoon on a saturday. Its so worth the effort if you actually like to drive your bronco on the street and highways.

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

I have posted the solution several times but it rarely gets used. Cutting and turning the knuckles is the only real solution. I rotated my outer C's 10 degrees and now have a rig that drives better than a stock original. If you want to know how you can search my post and I have a lengthy thread with pictures on how to do it. I did mine in an afternoon on a saturday. Its so worth the effort if you actually like to drive your bronco on the street and highways.

I'm going to check that out. I'm only going to be 3.5" up overall so my geometry may not be that adversely affected but somewhere down the road I may get a proper suspension lift.

Thanks!

Spaggyroe

Your mileage will likely vary, but for reference, my bronco with 3-1/2" lift and 7 degree bushings, measured out at only 2.4 - 2.6 degrees of caster at the alignment shop.

I ended up buying t-rex arms AND running the 7 degree bushings. It drives MUCH better now.

A knuckle cut and turn would be the ultimate solution I think, but it's also a lot of work that I didn't want to go through. LOL

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

I'm running stock arms. I've owned the truck for 25 years. I replaced the front end bushings (including the Cs) long ago and had it aligned. But I can't remember if they were stock replacements or geared for the 2.5" suspension lift I have.

omureebe

Your mileage will likely vary, but for reference, my bronco with 3-1/2" lift and 7 degree bushings, measured out at only 2.4 - 2.6 degrees of caster at the alignment shop.

I ended up buying t-rex arms AND running the 7 degree bushings. It drives MUCH better now.

A knuckle cut and turn would be the ultimate solution I think, but it's also a lot of work that I didn't want to go through. LOL

I'm doing the same thing you did (well.... trying 4 degree and t-rex), and I agree, if I had the welding experience to try and do the knuckle rotation, I'd do it. Maybe I will at some point, but in any case good luck figuring this all out! There are a few remedies for sure and sounds like you've been doing them.

bchesley

I drove mine for 5 years with Duff arms and 7 degree bushings and one off road trip the front CV joint on the drive shaft exploded because the angle was so bad. At that point I had had enough. If you never engage the four wheel drive its not an issue, but if you do it will eventually rear its ugly head. It looks like a scary task, but I have completed three axles now and its not bad. If you lived close I would be glad to help.

Spaggyroe

I drove mine for 5 years with Duff arms and 7 degree bushings and one off road trip the front CV joint on the drive shaft exploded because the angle was so bad. At that point I had had enough. If you never engage the four wheel drive its not an issue, but if you do it will eventually rear its ugly head. It looks like a scary task, but I have completed three axles now and its not bad. If you lived close I would be glad to help.

Thanks for the offer. Greatly appreciated.
I have the tools and ability to do a cut and turn here in my home shop, just not the motivation. Lol. Admittedly, my current bronco is more of a show pony so I don’t expect the poor u-joint angle will be too bothersome in my case. I have thought about running an offset 1310 from Tom woods to help a little.