• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3spd column linkage setup question?

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
About ready to take my 66 up the road and can't get the stupid column linkages set up right... Picked up a 77 manual column and rebuilt it. Apparently I got the 1st/reverse rods on the wrong lever. Can somebody tell me which position the pieces go? Long rod, short rod, short lever, J-shaped lever??? I currently have the short rod on the lever closest to the steering box and theother end hooked up to the J-shaped lever on the 2nd/3rd side of the trans. Pretty sure this is backwards but wanted to compare to a correctly set up 3spd before I tear it all back apart. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From what I remember (on pre-77 models anyway), the shorter lever on the column is towards the steering wheel, with it's bend extending the lever to the rear.
The longer lever is towards the steering box with it's bend pushing the lever farther forward.
So the levers are butted up together at their pivot points, but farther apart at their bushing ends.
Make sense?

If that's how yours are, then line them up in their neutral position and stick a 3/16" drill (or whatever size it is) into the aligning holes to hold them in position. Then align and adjust shift rods down to their respective shift levers on the trans.
1st/Rev. lever is "up" or rearward. 2nd/3rd is "down" or forward lever.

Each shift rod enters from the front of each column lever, with their pins and clips facing rearward.

Can't remember a thing about the orientation of the transmission-end levers or their rod orientation.
Someone was just messing with theirs a few weeks ago though, so maybe they've got pictures?

Good luck. Hope that's right. I don't know what, if anything, would be different with a '77 column, but if the rest of the stuff is earlier model, then that info should be good at least for them.
Meanwhile.... Back to the top!

Paul

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
went out and looked at mine for you....

From the linkage on the steering (closest to the front of the truck)

attatch - J rod to the most rear linkage on trans (towards the rear of truck)

From the linkage on the steering (closest to the cab)

attach - the more straight rod to the forward most linkage on the trans.

Hope that helped

OP
OP
NCSUWoj

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
So the shift lever bolted to the side of the transmission that is shaped like a "J" is actually on the 1st/reverse position of the transmission (back lever) and the flat tab shift lever is on the front or 2nd/3rd gear position on the transmission? I have mine backwards for sure then.

Thanks for looking at this for me, this is all that stands between me and a test drive on this project (15 months worth!) Thanks!