• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6 Ford engine swap

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
20 years ago.......

people started doing 4.6 v-8 and 5.4 V-8.........Very Wide Motor..........just like the 5.0 Coyote.....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
20 years ago.......

people started doing 4.6 v-8 and 5.4 V-8.........Very Wide Motor..........just like the 5.0 Coyote.....
The SOHC was bigger. DOHC more rare.
The 5.0 completely spanks what the 4.6/5.4 could do (with few rare and expensive exceptions). And the 5.0 can be build beyond what could ever be conceived of the 4.6/5.4 options.
As soon as the 5.0 came out the 4.6/5.4 were history only to live on in the Econoline. And that was only because nobody cared and Ford knew it would soon be dead with the Transit coming soon.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was around '98 or '99 that I picked up a complete "first year" 4.6 to put in an EB. Paid a pretty penny for it too. Before I actually got around to building the truck, a couple other folks beat me to it..had 4.6 swaps running. So I decided to build a 400-powered EB instead. And I did...it was a great rig.

I ended up using some of the EFI stuff off the 4.6 for my flathead V-8 EB build and the rest went to the scrapper eventually. *sigh*

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The SOHC was bigger. DOHC more rare.
The 5.0 completely spanks what the 4.6/5.4 could do (with few rare and expensive exceptions).
Around the year 2000 I helped a local fella build a 4.6 that eventually achieved over 600HP...at the rear wheels! He spent an astonishing amount of money on it...yet raced the Mustang only twice before he came to his senses and parted the car out to recover what he could. SHM (Sean Hyland Motorsports) had a lot to do with that build...custom heads and cams....absolutely huge Paxton supercharger and on and on.

The supercharger currently on my flathead V8 EB came from that Mustang project...after it was determined to be too small for the HP goals the guy had,

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Around the year 2000 I helped a local fella build a 4.6 that eventually achieved over 600HP...at the rear wheels! ...
My neighbors new 5.0 is a stock long block with a supercharger and E85 conversion. This daily driver makes right at 1,000 HP at the rear wheels.
That's how different the 5.0 is from the old 4.6/5.4s.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Mc/bowzer - you’re mentioning the newer, the modular motors (MM) I believe. W/each new iteration, corporate merica makes money savings for themselves, not just at ford. Used to be the gob’ment could get them to do things for buyer protection (pollution, safety, MPGs) but seems much less now. For me MM = mightily missed As there wuz plenty more innovation to B had there~
(& I miss ‘em).

I think the 2nd gen explorer is the way ta go. I will if I ever re-powering the bronk. Some machinin & speedy bits in a 5 oh seems good 4 me...