• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6 Ford engine swap

SLC

Anyone ever install the 4.6 engine in bronco ? Also what trans/transfer combo works well with this swap ? Thanks in advance you guys are so helpful.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Been done, maybe 20 years ago. Short answer, it is a bad idea. Stop thinking about it and you don't have to read any further.
So you didn't take my advise and kept reading. Well, the engine is huge. Doesn't fit in the engine bay very well. The Coyote is a better fit with the more compactness of spreading the cams out. There is zero wow factor anymore either. After all the work, it is still a fairly boring engine that runs about the same as a 302 that fits perfect.
Even if you have a perfectly running 4.6 for free, it still isn't worth it. Just one example, would like to have a camshaft on the driver's side head, or brakes? The master cylinder wants to be in the same place as that cam. There are ways around this, but it is a lot of careful fabrication work. Are you ready to do 100 little custom fabrication modifications just to fit an engine that is well out of date?

As for transmission, what do you want? The first year 4.6 actually has the small block bolt pattern to is so any transmission that would mate to a 302 will mate to the 4.6 engine. Anything after '92 will have what is known as the "mod motor" bellhousing. transmission choices are nearly limitless. Aftermarket exists to do just about anything you want. Use the stock 3-speed manual, sure. 10-speed auto, that can be done.

Transfer case is a little more limiting. The late model transfer cases that you would normally find on the newer transmissions are too wide, and often too long. The Stock Bronco Dana 20 can be adapted to most of them. Atlas and NP205 are more options that fit.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The 4.6 was "approximate" to the last of the 302s - 275/300 HP, 270/300 ft-lbs torque. There are better and worse version of each obviously. But you end up with a mountain of work and a huge outlay of cash as Broncobowsher pointed out to end up right where you are now.

I'm a huge fan of late model performance but you need the engine and transmission package and incredible tuning to make it work AFTER you spend a pile of cash and time. I would supercharge your current build or build 351 based stroker. Practically drops in your truck in an afternoon plus it will stomp all over any 4.6 or Coyote (un-supercharged)

OP
OP
S

SLC

Anyone ever install the 4.6 engine in bronco ? Also what trans/transfer combo works well with this swap ? Thanks in advance you guys are so helpful.
Thanks once again bronco guru’s …back to the drawing board or junk yard…

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Now that we squashed that bad idea, and it sounds like you are trying to do an engine swap...
What are you trying to build this Bronco into? If it is just putz around in an old truck, the original old 302 is fine choice. Want it more modernized, EFI, overdrive, power steering, etc. The 5.0 out of the 2nd gen Explorer is a great package. The accessory drive is perfect for a Bronco, Engine bolts right in, Transmission is very good as well. Just not the transfer case.
Something with a bit more grunt to make it fun to scoot around, 351 goes in pretty easy. And if you want to have enough power to break most of the stock driveline parts, Build the 408 up into a stroker. All those choices (except the stroker) are pretty easy on the checkbook and are junkyard items. The Explorer is often best to just buy one that runs and drives, drive it for a little bit to make sure everything is working good then part it out.

There are a ton more choices, all depends on what you want at the end, what your fab skills are, and your budget.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I remember a thread years ago where someone swapped a supercharged 4v 4.6 out of an 04 Cobra into a Bronco. I think that'd be a lot more expensive to do today than decent build 302/351.

Found a YouTube clip of it running

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Must be. That looks like Hollister Hills and that was where he used to test it and entered, or his wife entered into the top truck challenge.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Is that the one from house of diesel?
Good memory Paul... I wonder whatever happened to it or the company? They just faded away after posting the build here.
They were located in San Martin for awhile, saw their rigs on the road locally, pretty sure they moved and have not seen anything about them in a while...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had been over to the house many times, but not because I knew the family. They had a big shop on the property, and the full-time employed shop mechanic was allowed to work on some of his own stuff.
That included friends, one of which I got to know and help him work on his electrical.
So I was in the shop a lot a few years ago, and the old red bronco was just sitting around unused.

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
Must be. That looks like Hollister Hills and that was where he used to test it and entered, or his wife entered into the top truck challenge.
I remember that Bronco on top truck challenge. I Thought that was an interesting swap. Lincoln Mkiii came with the same engine minus the supercharger, you can pick them up pretty cheap when they pop up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think they actually got it dialed in pretty well, but during the top truck challenge, I thought I remembered it running like crap for some reason.
Maybe it just wasn’t tuned right yet, or the gearing was wrong, or something. I just seem to remember it wasn’t completely dialed in by the time the competition came around.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
“...The 5.0 out of the 2nd gen Explorer is a great package..."
I thought the ’95/01 explorer hada plenem that would hit the bronk hood?
351 seems 2 inches taller so extra to work out...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Clearance is not a problem with a 1 inch body lift. Explorer is a reasonably low profile GT40 setup.
Not the shortest of all the Ford intakes, but not the tallest either. And certainly seems the best compromise between height and performance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You still have to get creative sometimes, but that’s not the engine’s fault. It’s the ultra low clearance under the Bronco hood.

68Rcodeman

Contributor
Just completed mine. 2004 Mach1 32 valve with 4R70W Trans. Added adapter specialty adapter with short output shaft and mounted original Dana20 transfer case.

Attachments

• IMG_4732.jpg
    IMG_4732.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4881.jpg
    IMG_4881.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4880.jpg
    IMG_4880.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 46
  • imagejpeg_0(12).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(12).jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Bronco 2.jpg
    Bronco 2.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231229_150858.jpg
    20231229_150858.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1705200848956.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705200848956.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 42
  • FB_IMG_1705200873158.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705200873158.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 55

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Once again, beautiful all the way around and from every angle!. Thanks for popping over and adding the pictures to this discussion.

68Rcodeman

Contributor
That's clean. It really fills the engine bay.

I recall that the DOHC actually fits better than the SOHC
Had to open it up a bit. And your right about the brake booster. Three inch body lift and had to make an offset bracket. Runs great and lots of power.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Motor2.jpg
    Motor2.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg