• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6L Mod Motor or 351W

Highlander

Loc.
Chelan, WA
I am in the planning stages of 69 build up. I have a 351w in the shop that need to be rebuilt. That I have been planning on installing EFI on. Shopping around for fuel injection parts I started thinking about installing a 4.6L Mod motor. I thought that I had seen a thread on here where someone was doing a project like that but I can't seem to find it.

My rig will for the most part be a road rig/daily driver but I would like it to able to pull it's own weight in the hills also. Some of the questions I have are would it be better to go with the SOHC or the DOHC motor and why? What would be a good donor vehicle and how much of the electronics do I need to get from the vehicle? I know some of the computers control a ton of the stuff in the car others maybe not so much.

Anyway I was hoping I could find a write up on doing a project like this were someone has already broken the trail? Then I could make the decision either to stick with the 351W or go for it and install a DOHC unit.

Tim ;D

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
ever look at the price of perf parts for the doch engines? I am thinking I like my 351w when it comes time to pay for it but I see lots of good numbers from the newer more advanced engines

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
If you want a modular V8, Hope you don't have big shock hoops and don't like the inner fenders of your underhood area because you will have to dump them to make a mod fit..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I thought that I had seen a thread on here where someone was doing a project like that but I can't seem to find it.

You're right. There are a couple of threads here somewhere. One at least has a serious number of pictures showing various stages of the build as well.
I'll try a search too, just in case I can find a hint of it.

Not sure about the pros/cons of the SOHC vs DOHC question though.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go with the 351W for a couple of reasons it fits easily and for lowend torque and parts availiblity. Bad part about mod motors is cost of swapping and your limited on swap support. The mod motors make there power higher in the RPM band not real torque monsters while a DOHC would be nice its geared more towards higher rpms also. If going with a mod motor I'd consider the 5.4 over the 4.6 any day.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With the questions you are asking... Go with the 351. They go in much easier.

he Mod motors do fit, but require a little bit of a shoe horn to get them in there. When you start asking which one to use and how to wire it shows that you really are not ready for the advanced work needed to do a mod motor. There is another question you didn't even come up with, aluminium block or iron? Anyway MOD motors are mostly EEC-V and OBD-II, not nearly as swap friendly as the older EEC-IV. There are some EEC-IV Mod motors, but crown vics are not that exciting. There were some early DOHC EEC-IV but they were no where near as advanced as the newer ones. The speed parts for a Mod motor are expensive as well.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
you can probably build the entire bronc with a 351 for the cost of just getting the mod motor into the bronce especially since you alread have the 351. :)

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Here's my 1999 DOHC Cobra motor - she's a big mother and will be Supercharged....I'm making it sit as low as possible, so I'm having to do more fab work than others have done to perform this swap (new front x-member to clear supercharger pulley, clearance of the pass side frame rail for the starter solenoid, custom motor mounts, custom oil pan & pick-up, custom headers, etc.)

Modman makes some parts for a 4.6L swap, dnewman9 is also going 4.6L

Attachments

• 081008 Engine Front2.jpg
    081008 Engine Front2.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 081008 Engine 3-quarter.jpg
    081008 Engine 3-quarter.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 081008 Engine Top.jpg
    081008 Engine Top.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 45

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But she's a beauty! As The Tubes used to say...

Can't wait to hear about it running sstlaure.

Paul