• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4-barrel vs 2-barrel

dash8mx

Thinking about chucks q-jet and want anyone who has ones opinion.Also any other carbs that work well offroad.The manifold used for a q-jet and will fuel mileage be an issue changing from a 2- to 4 barrel.I need a carb that will run offroad on the occassional mud romp and the daily street driving.The parts store has a rebuilt original carb for almost the same price as the q-jet by b.c. and i need help with the decision as i can't afford to do this twice. Thanks sorry for the rambling william in va

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Definitely go with the 4 bbl if you have to replace the carb anyway. You don't need a special manifold, just a 4 bbl manifold and an adaptor to mount the quad on. As far as gas mileage goes, that will depend on how heavy your foot is. The quad has tiny primaries so it does well on the street and low and part throttle but when you romp on it and open up the huge secondaries, you will know it (kick in the pants). You can find 4 bbl manifolds for a decent price on Ebay or other used parts sources. There really isn't a reason to buy a new manifold unless you want everything new. I have been running an Edelbrock Performer 351W that I got off of Ebay for $50.00 for about 3 years now.

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
What he said. The small primaries along with the annular discharge venturies give great low speed response and mileage. Those huge secondaries sound cool. Not running one now, but used to have one on an old Buick.

ktmrob200

I was running a holley 600, seemed it needed to constantly be adjusted got a little bothersome. Just put on a used edlebrock 600 and it seems to do really well on the street, haven't had it off road yet. One thing I really like is the way it's built no gas above the gasket, it never leaks. I ordered the edlebrock offroad kit but haven't got it yet.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I changed from a troubelsome 2 barrel that when hot liked to vapor loc to a Quadrajet and I will never change back everything is so much better. Freeway milage iI have seen no change but my off road milage has gone up about 30 % it was running about 8 miles to a gallon with vapor locking, stalling especially at higher elavations but now off road I get 12 mpg. I used the early Mustang 4 barrel cast iron manifold and an adapter and the set-up sit lower than stock and fits under a a stock hood uncut and no body lift.