• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link cost

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola

Dusty

Bronco Guru
The Poly kit is very nice and comes with everything you need for the link system, although you still have to fab your own coil and shock or coilover mounts. Ruffstuff also has some nice components as does BTF, Greatlake Offroad, and ton of others. I see you're in Pensacola, you should probably check out BTF in Georgia if for no other reason than to save money on shipping.

How heavy will you be in the rear? most rigs are lighter in the rear so if you use the same Cage coils as the front you may wind up too stiff back there. I prefer coilovers but if you're on a budget and need to stick with separate coils and shocks there are a bunch of different OEM coils that people have used, like from Astro vans, Jeeps, etc., do a search and you'll turn up some info.

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
The Poly kit is very nice and comes with everything you need for the link system, although you still have to fab your own coil and shock or coilover mounts. Ruffstuff also has some nice components as does BTF, Greatlake Offroad, and ton of others. I see you're in Pensacola, you should probably check out BTF in Georgia if for no other reason than to save money on shipping.

How heavy will you be in the rear? most rigs are lighter in the rear so if you use the same Cage coils as the front you may wind up too stiff back there. I prefer coilovers but if you're on a budget and need to stick with separate coils and shocks there are a bunch of different OEM coils that people have used, like from Astro vans, Jeeps, etc., do a search and you'll turn up some info.

Thanks for the info Dusty. Should be fairly light in the rear, plan on moving the axle back 12" or so. I do have a 38" swamper on the back though.

dustybronco

I agree with Dusty on the rear stiffness, if you a installing a 4 link in the rear you could also use an Air shock. Air shocks are less money than a coil over and easier than a coil spring to fab up a bracket. The disadvantage is with an Air shock or Coilover is you will have to find someone to tune them or buy your own kit. Polyperformance sells one if you want to look at the price.

Bronco1

Loc.
MS. Gulf Coast
I have JBG (Deaver) 3 1/2 " springs front & rear and they don't seem to stiff to me . Use stock front spring buckets. I made extended front radius arms & 4 link rear for less than a grand .

Later, Mark

dc2

Loc.
Pensacola
Pensascola four link

PM me with what you are trying to do and I can put you in touch with a local guy that could help with all of you bending, welding, and fab work. He does good work and might be able to save you some money.
Daniel

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I have JBG (Deaver) 3 1/2 " springs front & rear and they don't seem to stiff to me . Use stock front spring buckets. I made extended front radius arms & 4 link rear for less than a grand .

Later, Mark

Do you have any rear pics Mark?

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I agree with Dusty on the rear stiffness, if you a installing a 4 link in the rear you could also use an Air shock. Air shocks are less money than a coil over and easier than a coil spring to fab up a bracket. The disadvantage is with an Air shock or Coilover is you will have to find someone to tune them or buy your own kit. Polyperformance sells one if you want to look at the price.

Thanks for the info and more importantly Thank you for your service to our country, Gunny!!

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I am pretty interested in this also. I am planning on a 4 link in the rear. Was probably going to fab my own using some purchased brackets. The kits do look good. I never thought about Air shocks instead of Coil overs. How would they act for some light road duty? Any worse than anything else?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
X2 I added it all up for parts and materials using ballistic fab and it was about 300-400 cheaper than a kit plus I would be able to toot my own horn about making my own 4 link, just make sure you use a geometry calculator like the one half way down the page here http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/xtreme/

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
How does the shocks being mounted inboard or out effect body roll? Seems like inboard shocks would make body roll worse. ie. Duff's kit

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
better long travel shocks that unfortunately sometimes require cutting the wheel wells will always be better than inboard shocks if you drive your rig on the street.

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
thats the problem......... I have no rust it pains me to cut things even though I know it's for the better ;D

That's tuff, It's easy to bash my rust bucket. If I had a rust free EB i'd probably have to keep it stock now that I have gotten older. My first EB was premo and I destroyed it:cry: