• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 speed toploader hurst shifter

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi folks. Proud owner of a wide ratio 4 speed toploader. I got a hurst comp+ shifter with it but no brackets. Just the rods shifter and a handle. It looks like hurst discontinued their offering. I really want the hurst. Any ideas on sourcing install kit? I've worn fingers to a nub searching eBay etc.. Any one got a kit to sell? Finally, can the brackets etc from a three speed me adapted to mount the 4 speed head? Thanks

fablife

I have a customer that has that set up in his truck, I can see if the brackets are the same as the 3 speed or at least take some pics for ya? JD

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
JBG had the top loader adapters in their old catalog (2004).
Toms has alot of used parts too.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The 3 speed brackets are the same. Looks like broncograveyard has them available. You can try Advance Adapters too. I believe they are who is having them repopped.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I was looking in the floor shifter page, never saw the shifter parts page.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought I had read on duffs page where the 4 speed was discontinued. Haven't called hurst yet. Saw so many pages it got to be overload for my old mind :p

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got my Top Loader 4-Speed Complete conversion from Toms. Everything was great except the Advance Adaptors shifter. Too tall and hits steering wheel when looking for Reverse. Used a Hurst Shifter and all worked out great and matched the Duffs T-shifter Very nicely.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I thought I had read on duffs page where the 4 speed was discontinued. Haven't called hurst yet. Saw so many pages it got to be overload for my old mind :p

Duff's used to do a custom reworked 4 speed shifter. I think it was offset and may have had a shorter throw. It looks like they quit making them a few years ago. I got my 4 speed shifter earlier this year from Tom's but it is an Advance Adapters kit. Funny thing is it has all of the hurst stampings and markings but now it also says MADE IN CHINA. :cry:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Have the AA toploader shifter didnt have any issues with mine although it was a little to tall. Toploaders are good tranny's but they are really no better than the stock 3speed all you gain is slightly better gear changes no large jumps like the 3speed but with a worse first gear ratio
Im pretty sure that hurst made almost all the bronco shifters that used to be availible. Its no surprise that there made in china now.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%)%)%) On the top loader shifter what I did is bend a 1" offset in it just under the boot. And hurst handles cone in different seizes and offset's just get one that works for you good luck and have fun.%)%)%) Bill ;D:cool::D

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Here's what my shifter ended up being (besides dirty) to get the lever back within comfortable reach. (a "Super Boot" covered the welds-that lever had seen some modifications over the years):cool:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed the Hurst Shifter Stick #5384084. It is a little pricey. However, it is offset to the right about 4" so your knee does not hit it at all. But still not too far that it hits the T-shift Transfer Case Shifter. It is about 15" high.

Good comfortable position shifting. Close match to Duffs Chrome T-Shifter.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
If you can't find the Hurst part, check with Dan Williams Top loader transmissions, he should be online, and he will know what to do.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Here's what my shifter ended up being (besides dirty) to get the lever back within comfortable reach. (a "Super Boot" covered the welds-that lever had seen some modifications over the years):cool:

That looks like someone made or modified a set of brackets. The Bronco specific brackets locate the shifter several inches farther back on the intermediate housing.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto not quite the standard floor shifter conversion there. My AA shifter is like the one mentioned earlier but might be taller has about a 4in offset and is a little tall had AA logo on it. Hurst still makes a similar one wirth 4in offset.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I have the top loader in my '72. Looks like it uses the stock brackets for the three speed. I found good pictures of the linkage routing (on eBay of all things) that I saved to fix my linkage. Let me know if you need any pics.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I hope these help someone. They helped me out, but took awhile to find originally.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Also, here's how I bent my shifter to clear my knee. I ended up with a twin stick for the transfer case, and it barely clears the front stick after I bent that straight up.

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Ditto not quite the standard floor shifter conversion there. My AA shifter is like the one mentioned earlier but might be taller has about a 4in offset and is a little tall had AA logo on it. Hurst still makes a similar one wirth 4in offset.

That was what was on it when I purchased a '72 roll over.... All I know is that it worked great for 25+ years.......:cool: