• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W and Dana 20 length problems?

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
So I just tore apart my Dana 20 only to find a shattered output shaft! I looked online at all the vendors to see what they have for options. Both Toms and Wildhorses have a HD version that looks good except price! I noticed they are 1.3 inches longer. My concern is that with the 1.5 of the tranny, and the 1.3 of the new output shaft my rear driveline is gonna be real short and steep angle! What do you guys think I should do? Should I convert to some other type of rear driveline such as a CV style or what?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
As for price look for one on eBay before you buy, I have seen them for much less there.

Length?
I'm not using a 4R70W but a ZF5 which is close to the same length.
Get a new driveshaft the correct length with a double cardan joint (what people call a CV, but it isn't) but those work best if the pinion points at the joint.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Over correct the pinion angle. Put a good torque arm on so it can't go any further negative angle.

The sky high pinion corrects a lit of driveline angle issues. But normally this would lead to failed U-joint from binding very quickly. A good torque arm will lock that angle in so you can't get any pinion rise, axle wrap, but still has good ride and articulation.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
BC Broncos may still carry the stock length output shaft in 300 M. at least they use to, so give them a call.