• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W and the new front driveline

Broncos n' VWs

Here's the new front driveline! As you can see in the pictures, it's a tight fit next to the transmission pan. It's a 2 inch shaft.

Attachments

• resize 1.JPG
    resize 1.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 101
  • resize 2.JPG
    resize 2.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 99
  • resize 3.JPG
    resize 3.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 114

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Is that a 205 case you've got it bolted up to?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Hmmm...looks like you used the stock crossmember too. Was this a 4x4 4R70W? Did you use an adapter? Still love my C4, but I'm eyeing this overdrive lately. Starting to be bunch in the yards.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That looks like the AA adapter.
That is about how I remember mine fitting as well. 2" is just right.

OP
OP
Broncos n' VWs

Broncos n' VWs

Hmmm...looks like you used the stock crossmember too. Was this a 4x4 4R70W? Did you use an adapter? Still love my C4, but I'm eyeing this overdrive lately. Starting to be bunch in the yards.

Bowsher's right, it is the Advance Adapters housing and my hacked up stock crossmember. With this overdrive and my new drive line, I think it's time to journey the 4 hours to Moab and test it all out.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Do you have more pics of yur crossmember? What did you have to do for your shifter?

Amac70

ME
i know mine is really close to my shift linkage but everything else looks to be good and in the clear. That is with a custom 2" shaft also no way was the stock shaft going to work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like that may make contact under the right circumstances....

Mine was the same and never did.
Keep in mind that the transfer case and transmission are mounted solid to each other and that end of the driveshaft has very little movement at that end. You would need something very bad to happen to get that shaft to contact the pan (total loss of both motor mounts and the motor banging the drivers inner fender for example)

OP
OP
Broncos n' VWs

Broncos n' VWs

Do you have more pics of yur crossmember? What did you have to do for your shifter?

I may have time to snap a few pics of the crossmember and the custom shift linkage. I am using the stock column shifter, some fabbed up shift rods with heim rod ends, and a bell crank. When I get some pics, I'll start a new thread.

OP
OP
Broncos n' VWs

Broncos n' VWs

How do you like the 4R70W so far?

I really like this transmission. I think it would be a perfect setup if I had 4.88 gears with the 35 inch tires. It was a lot of work and there was quite a few little "nickel and dime" expenses along the way. All worth it to me. Let's just say I really don't miss the old T 18.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I really like this transmission. I think it would be a perfect setup if I had 4.88 gears with the 35 inch tires. It was a lot of work and there was quite a few little "nickel and dime" expenses along the way. All worth it to me. Let's just say I really don't miss the old T 18.

Yeah I can understand that! Save that $$, upgrade the gears/tires later ;)

OP
OP
Broncos n' VWs

Broncos n' VWs

OK. The thread with all the pictures of the homebrew 4R70W shift linkage is in Bronco Chat with the thread heading "4R70W shift linkage". Go there to see my inner-city fabrication skillz. ;D