• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w/atlas help

OP
OP
NM_outdoors

NM_outdoors

Anytime Yeller. Quite a few options around here..... Hopefully this ol' gal will be back together by the time you get here :)......

flousberg

I am going to jump in this post, I have the exact same thing except 4.56 gears. 351w, 4r70w, Atlas, 4.56, 35" tires. I currently have a NP205 and it really is a pain on any bumpy/rocky trail because I am always in 1st gear. i get into 2nd and the kids heads are bouncing all around.

I am up in Colorado, don't get too crazy, Chinaman's is about as crazy as I want.

Here are my ratios with 4.56
High 12.95 7.07 4.56 3.19
NP 205 25.38 13.85 8.94 6.26
Atlas 3.8 49.21 26.86 17.33 12.13
Atlas 3.0 38.85 21.20 13.68 9.58

Also, will the standard tail housing accept the same VSS and speedo as the NP205/D20?

OP
OP
NM_outdoors

NM_outdoors

Sounds good. You leaning toward the 3.0 atlas? I ordered the standard tail housing that will allow cable / upgrade for speedo. Let me know how you like it since yours will probably be running before mine (only @ rolling chassis now). What did you do for a crossmember?

flousberg

I ordered a 3.0. I made the crossmember a long time age out of 3" channel, I will see if I can find the thread. I also ordered the speedo cable kit from wild horses.

OP
OP
NM_outdoors

NM_outdoors

Sounds good. Keep the updates coming. I'll probably run original gauge cluster but looking at options..........digital?

flousberg

Received the atlas this week and put it on the bench today. Took some measurements and looks like my rear yoke will be about an 1" further back so I will need to shorten the drive shaft. I also ordered a 1" spacer, seems like that should just come with the case when ordered with a ford 31 spline.

I am also going to change the shifter connections to heims and make a longer standoff tube so it lands in the stock shifter spot.

OP
OP
NM_outdoors

NM_outdoors

Received the atlas this week and put it on the bench today. Took some measurements and looks like my rear yoke will be about an 1" further back so I will need to shorten the drive shaft. I also ordered a 1" spacer, seems like that should just come with the case when ordered with a ford 31 spline.

I am also going to change the shifter connections to heims and make a longer standoff tube so it lands in the stock shifter spot.

Sounds good. Mine came in about the same time and you're right, it looks like the output shaft on the trans is long. May trim the shaft length down vs. adding a spacer just to keep the overall length to a minimum. Whaddaya think?

flousberg

I finished this up yesterday. Here are so e of the things I figured out going from the NP 205 to the atlas.

Front driveshaft increases about 3"

Rear driveshaft decreases a little less than 2"

You have to have the one inch spacer. The measurements above are with the spacer and the speedo tail housing.

The bronco shift kit puts you 4" short of the stock hole. I had to get a longer 1/2" stud, 6" long tube, replaced the atlas provided linkages with heims. This worked out very well. I would assume when you order the atlas you could request the bronco shifter with 4" longer tube, stud, and linkages for minimal or no cost. They have a stock 6" tube, so I would guess they have the other parts as well.

I was able to clock it one hole before it hit the frame and was getting ready to hit the brake bracket and tub. You would have to do serious mods to not only the frame, but also the tub to get it flat. It hangs down less than the 205 did.

The shifter mech is very tight between the tub and tranny. I had to cut off the two bosses and the bracket on the side of the tranny to get everything to clear. Not really a big deal.

I went with the 3.0, seems like the right choice. Need to wait for some snow to melt to try it out.

I have pics, but need to renew my subscription.