• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W Front Driveshaft Concerns

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In my searches it looks like 2 diameter for front driveshaft will get yo by on a stock pan? I have 2.5 lift and 1 inch body. What has been the rear world experience, thinking about Tom Woods. Buttoning things up on the frame, getting ready for exhaust and driveshafts.

BanditBronco

I would definitely get driveshafts in it before getting the exhaust figured out. If they are good they can make the exhaust fit without any issues. I think your clearances should be fine. I have a high pinion and a 2" shaft that contacts the exhaust. Once it self clearanced its all good. Not your exact set up but if I can fit it with a high pinion you will be all good with a low pinion.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
TOM WOODS here! big fan and were super easy to deal with! 4R70W with 351 EFI

Attachments

• enhance-_9_.jpg
    enhance-_9_.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 93

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me too. Tom Woods front and rear. 427/4R70W/D20.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tom woods front shaft standard 4r70w with a 3.5 SL. No issues

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much leeway is in the stock driveshafts? Due to adapter the rear driveshaft will be shorter and the front will be longer by < 2 inches

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have fairly new driveshafts from when I installed the ZF tranny. I will probably just have them shortened and lengthened locally.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Carolina driveline for me. 2'' shaft dia. No issues with trans clearance, exhaust is tight 2 into 1. But it works. High pinion 44.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Roger where does the e haunt get tight, I am running down passenger rail, out of stock 2001 exhaust manifolds

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Roger where does the e haunt get tight, I am running down passenger rail, out of stock 2001 exhaust manifolds

I used my stock 302 exhaust manifolds. Tried to use the stock explorer manifolds but didn't like them. With my exhaust the drivers side was coming straight down out of the manifold. and then turning sharp between the oil pan and the transmission. I had to cut off the pipe near the manifold install 2- 45 degree pipes keeping them as far away from the driveshaft as I could. This worked great for me. I can get a picture if you want.

BanditBronco

I used my stock 302 exhaust manifolds. Tried to use the stock explorer manifolds but didn't like them. With my exhaust the drivers side was coming straight down out of the manifold. and then turning sharp between the oil pan and the transmission. I had to cut off the pipe near the manifold install 2- 45 degree pipes keeping them as far away from the driveshaft as I could. This worked great for me. I can get a picture if you want.

Agreed, coming off the drivers side header/manifold, most exhaust shops will just throw a 90* bend in there an either run it between the pan and bell housing or between the bellhousing and the trans pan. Middle of this 90* bend is usually where the driveshaft contacts. using a double 45* gives you a "flat spot" between bends allowing more driveshaft clearance.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Roger, a pic would be nice. Is your front shaft stock diameter?