• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w Front Seal Backed Out ?'s

Big D

Hey. I recently posted a question about my rebuilt 4r70w with 88 miles gushing trans fluid as I was coasting down the freeway. Today, I finally pulled the trans. When I pulled the torque converter off, I found the front trans seal was no longer seated. It had blown all the way out. The seal appears to be good. No defects and the spring is still intact. I then noticed written in sharpie on the torque converter, "AODE 1." Could this be my problem? Does anyone know if this torque converter isn't compatible with my 4r? I know the 4r is a lock up trans, and the aod's never were. Maybe thats why the seal was pushed out. Also, the seal slides over the snout of the torque converter with ease. There is no resistance what so ever. I tried googling info about the two torque converters, and couldn't find anything. Thanks for the help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
AODE = 4R70W
They interchange without issue. AODE was the old name (actually AODE-W) before the transmission naming change.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Torque convertor support bushing?

Would a misalignment with the crank (lack of dowels between block and transmission) also be a cause?

OP
OP
B

Big D

Thanks for the responses. The dowels are still there. Everything went together smoothly when I mated the engine and trans up. I don't know. Hopefully just a bad seal. I picked up an oem seal from Ford today. We shall see. Would lock tite be worth a shot? Thanks guys.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Thread locker is the incorrect stuff to use. But Loctite (the brand) does make a vast selection of products and I am sure one of them is correct for this. I just don't have the catalog memorized at the moment. Bearing and shaft? There is a product intended to hold press fit parts together.