• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w install question

desertguy76

Loc.
Norco, California
I started my 4r70w conversion over the weekend and I got my 3-speed and dana 20 removed finally and have a question about installation. This is the first time I have taken on anything like this and was wondering if I should attempt to install the 4r70 with T-case mounted or would it be easier to install separately.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always install mine together but I have a tranny jack, however I have used just a floor jack for the install. I like to mate the 2 on the bench so I know everything is correct and I also install the crossmember on the bench. If you do not have a body lift you will most likely have to notch the body support member like in the pics. you may also want to fab up some bolts like this for the crossmember, it is tight on the driver side and a PIA to get a wrench up on top to hold these bolts, with these no wrench is needed

Attachments

• DSC01455.jpg
    DSC01455.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC01456.jpg
    DSC01456.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01660.jpg
    DSC01660.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01661.jpg
    DSC01661.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01663.jpg
    DSC01663.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 73

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
When I did mine I rented a tranny jack, the tranny was coupled with the t-case before the install. Tranny jack is a must if you are doing it yourself.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
My $.02 is to do them separately... smaller, more manageable pieces.

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just did the same conversion. I installed separately because I was doing it by myself. Made it easier to manage and move around. I have a transmission jack which I would recommend.

I hated spending the money on the jack for a one time job. Well, now not so upset since mine probably has to come back out. Doesn't shift proberly (new from Monster Transmission). After a lot of playing with Quick 4 shift controller and setting, started checking wiring. Found the selonoid plug on transmission full of tranny fluid. Looks like the bulkhead connector is cracked:(

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Trans jacks are a great tool. I was lucky enough to buy a used one from a friend. Have used it several times. (unexpectedly burned up a couple trans's). Now another friend has borrowed it... one of those tools that get passed around between friends...

MonsterBIlly

I think it depends on the transfer case you are using. If dana 20, doesnt really matter. If you are doing the atlas transfer case, i think you need to clock the transfer case once it is in so it will fit between the frame properly

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would rather install everything.....Transmission, adapter, Transfer case and cross-member as one unit. It's much easier to attach all that stuff on a bench because you have easier access to the hardware. A ratchet style transmission jack (shown below) is less than $50 and easy to store, so I recommend that approach.

Attachments

• IMG_8636.jpg
    IMG_8636.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8637.jpg
    IMG_8637.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 41