• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w Major Leak

Rem28ga

So I did the 4r70w and Np205 swap in my 74 bronco. The dang thing leaks like a sieve between the two. I am constantly adding fluid just to see it run down the face of the transfer case. I have been reading that the adapter between the two is supposed to be wet (no seal on the rear of the trans?) I know my C4 had a rear seal so I assumed this one should too?. How have you guys had success keeping fluid in? How much ATF should be in the transfer case adapter? I must be missing something?? Thanks in advance. My 4r70w is from a 98 explorer and the Np205 is from a 79 Bronco.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The 205 should have a seal at the input shaft also. That really only keeps trans fluid from getting inside the 205 and oil from getting inside the trans. There should also be a gasket where the 205 meets the adapter. That is probably where the leak is.

OP
OP
Rem28ga

Rem28ga

Is the adapter gasket where it mates to the 205 a Ford garage only product? I can't seem to find one listed from the usual suspects (NAPA, auto-zone). Is i just a paper gasket?
Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think it's Ford only. Explorer would have a gasket there. You could probably find one for that application.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Little discouraged

I rebuilt a 4R several months ago, put it on my test stand DNS ran it for about 5 minutes. Ran good in forward gears, but bound up in reverse. Today I got around to pulling the pan to have a look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 51