• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W non-functional on high incline

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Filter autopsy. Nothing serious other than a odd piece of Rtv-like stuff I've never seen or used before.
cc239417ae18e6d2addda070f0147aad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Fuel pump issues? Looks like I just counted 4 pumps on your bench.

Since you have the pan off, where does the dipstick read in reference to the transmission pan rail? I recall 15+ years ago I was noticing there was a variation of where the dipstick reads the oil level between mustang and explorer. But I don't remember the exact details.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Haha. I'm cleaning out one of my old parts bins. Those need to be tested before i keep or toss. Did have an E2000 crap out at Moab the other week which prompted me to verify my inventory.

Anyway, pan is already back on but may be worth a call to Lokar to verify compatibility. Good idea.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
That's a real good idea. Let us know what you come up with Chuzie!

So you made it to Moab? No video = didn't happen! :)

Send me some pics if you would. Next time you come over the hill, give me a call.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
I have to run my C6 2-3qts over full to keep it pumping on anything over 65 degrees, I built a catch can that it is attached to the dipstick tube and put a sealed cap on the top of the tube so it dosnt leak.(catch can is needed for when the trans gets hot the extra fluid has a place to go, it feeds into the bottom of the can so it just flows back in as the trans cools some) make shur you breather is moved up to the can also

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Just got off the phone with Lokar. There is no variant on the 4R70W regardless of sumped or non-sumped pan. BUT...... We determined my stick is too long (definitely NOT what she said!).

According to Lokar, for the push-in style dipstick setup, there should be 2-3/16" from the mating surface of the tube to the end of the dipstick. I have 2-3/4" which means I have been running LOW.

Gonna modify and let y'all know how many quarts = 9/16"

Pics.
First is one of the obstacles I lost trans power on.

099f7053d979c9689b45b6a2910f3125.jpg

532ae6cf9a7ed8f843d88826689bdf34.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Answer is about 1/2 qt. I find it a tough pill to swallow 1/2 qt would be enough to starve the system but guess I won't know till I get back out there and test.

Who wants to go wheelin!?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm game to go wheeling! :)

Hope this get's this figured out. Could have been a catastrophy

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Answer is about 1/2 qt. I find it a tough pill to swallow 1/2 qt would be enough to starve the system but guess I won't know till I get back out there and test.

Who wants to go wheelin!?

I do. Do you think you arrange a cargo plane out of charlotte to pick me up;D;D

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I'll bring the plane.
You bring the cow bell!