• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w NSS wiring???

MWM

Hi guy’s, long time lurker here. This site has been extremely helpful since purchasing my Bronco about 10 years ago. I’ve been searching but can’t find exactly what I need. I’m finishing up my 4r70w install and I can’t figure out how to wire my neutral safety switch. I’m using the quick shift 4 controller and I have the two white wires coming from the nss. I have the high torque mini starter and still have the fender mounted relay. I also have a Centech harness if that helps. What wires go where and what wires if any are omitted? I’ve tried hooking the nss “ign start“ wire to the positive side of the relay and the “start relay” wire to the ”s” terminal on the relay with the centech harness’s purple start wire removed from the “s” terminal but no luck. I’m sure I’m missing something simple here. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No luck, as in it won’t crank?
Or no luck, as in it doesn’t keep it from cranking?

Sorry I can’t help with the NSS switch, and I don’t know about the controller either. But how old is your wiring harness?
Reason I ask is that even though the purple (violet in GM-speak) wire is the one you want from the Centech harness, older versions had two of them.
One was connected directly to the ignition switch so was not meant to be used and the other, longer one was the one meant to be used with an automatic and NSS.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Hi guy’s, long time lurker here. This site has been extremely helpful since purchasing my Bronco about 10 years ago. I’ve been searching but can’t find exactly what I need. I’m finishing up my 4r70w install and I can’t figure out how to wire my neutral safety switch. I’m using the quick shift 4 controller and I have the two white wires coming from the nss. I have the high torque mini starter and still have the fender mounted relay. I also have a Centech harness if that helps. What wires go where and what wires if any are omitted? I’ve tried hooking the nss “ign start“ wire to the positive side of the relay and the “start relay” wire to the ”s” terminal on the relay with the centech harness’s purple start wire removed from the “s” terminal but no luck. I’m sure I’m missing something simple here. Thanks.
Couple of things. Did you call Jim at Centech? There are several 4r70w users here so they may also be able to chime in.

Do you have a test light? Volt meter? Inlist a helper, have them turn the key on and try to find power at the computer / transmission. Then they to jump it at the plug? Just a thought. Hopefully the thought is on the right track.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MWM

MWM

DirtDonk, no luck as it didn’t keep it from starting in gear. Wiring harness is 10+ years old installed by the previous owner. And there are two wires connected to the “S” terminal on the relay one looks purple and the other is blue. I’ll have to look at them more closely when I get home this afternoon to see if they are labeled.

Jmhend, thanks for the tip I will try that next. I may have to call Us Shift to see if they have any suggestions as well. I was just hoping someone on here has been through this already since this is a pretty popular swap. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's very likely you connected one of the Purple START circuits to the NSS and the other to the starter relay/solenoid. I'm sure it's possible that either your NSS does not work, or that you got the wires wrong, but it seems just as likely you have the earlier Centech harness with two separate circuits.
Did you do the connections yourself? If so, do you remember the Purple wire being extra long and being able to reach the S post on the relay even after you cut it in half to splice into the switch? Or was it short enough that you had to add wire of your own?
If short, then it's probably the START wire intended for manual transmissions. If long, then that should be the correct one and so you'd want to look at the NSS again to see if it's functioning properly.
Do you have a test lamp or multi-meter to verify that the wires you used are only passing current in Park and Neutral? Either on the OHM setting or the DC Volt setting can work depending on how you test.

Not sure what the Blue wire would be, unless it's marked IGNITION or something like that. Centech has two or three different Blue wires that do different things for the ignition system. One might be for an ignition module power, one for ignition coil power, and one for a START signal most likely. And anything connected to the S post is expecting a START signal from the key.
But that's supposed to be the function of the "I" post instead. In my world I hate seeing anything but the Purple wire on the S post, but I know a lot of people do that and get away with it. Usually a fuel-injection system is looking for a START signal too, so that might be connected to the FAST setup.

the good news is that as you suggested, all the wires should be labeled along their length. Hopefully the installer used those appropriately!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
MWM

MWM

Yes, I got it figured out. I couldn’t wire it the way the instructions for the us shift tell you to. They wanted the “start relay” wire (from the range sensor) to go to the “S” post on the starter relay which makes sense but then they show the “ignition start” wire (from the range sensor) going to the + power side of the starter relay which did not work for me. All I needed to do was splice the existing start wire from the start post on the fender mounted relay to the “ignition start” wire from the range sensor and then hook the “start relay” wire to the “s” post on the fender mounted relay to complete the loop. This is the way I would’ve assumed it should be wired had I not looked at the instructions first. Now in all honesty I could have been reading the wiring diagram wrong in the instructions but I don’t think that’s the case. It functions properly now so I’m leaving it as is.
All I need to do now is figure out why the controller is telling me that “The output shaft speed sensor circuit is open or the sensor is missing.“

akirshbom

I know this is an old thread. Hoping someone picks up this question. When you say connect the Ignition Start wire to the start post of solenoid, are saying the heavy lug that leads down to the starter or did you tap into the s wire which the the Start relay wire is connected to?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top.
Is this for a transmission signal? Or a computer signal?
For any START signal, you can tap into the ignition switch, or tap into/piggyback on to, the "S" post of the starter relay. Or you could also use the "I" post of the starter relay/solenoid because it's also energized ONLY while in START mode.

So what component are you signalling that you're in start mode?

Paul