• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w shift linkage

MikeKC130J

Contributor
I have a 72 bronco I’m swapping out man for an automatic.
Do I have to disassemble the trans to switch out the shift rod?
I see that Lokar has a rod asym. But requires you to get in the trans.
What is everyone using for linkage? I am using the idid-it steering column shifter.

xltboy

I used a lokar floor shifter and lokar cable assembly and did not have to go inside the transmission. Took the old shift arm off and put the new one back on. Even if you have to go inside it is pretty simple. I had the original stuff out when I rebuilt the transmission.
Xltboy

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Are you looking to use a column shifter or moving the shifter to the floor?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You usually have to go inside the trans.... it's NOTHING! :)

Pull the pan, undo a couple bolts, slide the new shaft in, done.

It really is that simple. Maybe a couple extra steps but super simple. You aren't pulling the VB or anything...

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you usually have to go inside the trans.... It's nothing! :)

pull the pan, undo a couple bolts, slide the new shaft in, done.

It really is that simple. Maybe a couple extra steps but super simple. You aren't pulling the vb or anything...

^^^^this^^^^

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
As Nvrstuk said. I added the Lokar shifter, easy. It can be messy dropping the pan, it's also a good time to add a drain plug.

OP
OP
MikeKC130J

MikeKC130J

Contributor
Thanks guys, I’m keeping the shifter on the column. I just ordered the Lokar shift arm. I’ll attempt switching the arm. Thanks again.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, I’m keeping the shifter on the column. I just ordered the Lokar shift arm. I’ll attempt switching the arm. Thanks again.

It’s super easy. BUT plan ahead and get that drain plug added to your pan, like I did.....

Attachments

• F8190A4C-6FDE-4F9B-A868-4C4E748ED6EB.jpg
    F8190A4C-6FDE-4F9B-A868-4C4E748ED6EB.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 39