• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w/ US Shift 4/winter shifter. Shift mode toggle options?

R0kcrwlr

Looking for suggestions related to 4r70w with us shift 4 controller. I am going to be using a winters floor shifter.

I saw someone ( I think JSmall ) had a momentary switch installed in the shifter for the OD which I thought would be a nice option but I will need to research on how that was accomplished.

I was reading through some of the us shift documents and I see where you can select various shift modes. I also was reading the OD lockout option as well.

For those running this setup for both street and offroad would you have any suggestions or recommendations on the method that you are using to switch these options electronically.

I assume that I would use a spst switch to select the various shift modes?

For the OD lockout it appears either a toggle or momentary switch would work. Now to figure out what installation method and location.

Thanks.

doran4x

Contributor
I mounted a momentary contact switch on the transfer case shifter. I lock out overdrive when on highway driving on a long uphill or in traffic. 5.0, 4R70W, Dana 20, 5.13’s and 35” tires.
bf6c53ed85487bebbead4bf6f4db9fdc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

I mounted a momentary contact switch on the transfer case shifter. I lock out overdrive when on highway driving on a long uphill or in traffic. 5.0, 4R70W, Dana 20, 5.13’s and 35” tires.
bf6c53ed85487bebbead4bf6f4db9fdc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I mounted two momentary switches and an LED in front of my shifter. The switch closest to me is for switching between OD on/OD off/Manual Mode and the LED indicates which mode I’m in. The other switch is for selecting shift tunes (one for normal driving and one for snow/ice). I usually have mine in manual mode when I’m offroad.

Attachments

• 6FED6245-2662-4BAE-BA46-8AD1DFB9C7CD.jpeg
    6FED6245-2662-4BAE-BA46-8AD1DFB9C7CD.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 28

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I ran several options on my Winters over the last 15 years.

I even mounted micro switches in the shifter & it worked but I didn't like it.

All the funky marketing "shift modes" for the 4r & 6r are in my opinion a gimmick. If you 4 wheel you know what gear to be in BEFORE you climb the waterfall or hit the base of rhe sand dune or pulling out on the snow covered street- - so all you need is manual shifting mode with TC control.

The Quik4 offers 4 programming modes for shift points and those ARE important to have setup.

Shifting gently on ice & snow covered street for one tune is a ton different than shifting agressively on sand dunes or mud let's say for another tune.

I have one tuned called "ice cream tune". I use it going to get ice cream with my wife. :)

Like what Tim mentioned above.

Last edited:

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA

All the funky marketing "shift modes" for the 4r & 6r are in my opinion a gimmick. If you 4 wheel you know what gear to be in BEFORE you climb the waterfall or hit the base of rhe sand dune or pulling out on the snow covered street- - so all you need is manual shifting mode with TC control.

The Quik4 offers 4 programming modes for shift points and those ARE important to have setup.

Shifting gently on ice & snow covered street is a ton different than Shifting agreesively on sand dunes or mud let's say.

Yep, I’m a big fan of the TC control in manual mode. Can’t wait to dial it all in again when I get the stroker running lol.

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

I mounted two momentary switches and an LED in front of my shifter. The switch closest to me is for switching between OD on/OD off/Manual Mode and the LED indicates which mode I’m in. The other switch is for selecting shift tunes (one for normal driving and one for snow/ice). I usually have mine in manual mode when I’m offroad.
Thanks for the feedback, I like how your setup is.

Like nvrstuk mentioned there seem to be so many variables in reading the documentation on the us shift 4.

I want to keep it simple but knew like you but knew I would want the OD switched and well as 2 shift tunes I figured..

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

Shifting gently on ice & snow covered street for one tune is a ton different than shifting agressively on sand dunes or mud let's say for another tune.

I have one tuned called "ice cream tune". I use it going to get ice cream with my wife. :)

I agree with what gear for off road mode. I was looking at a micro switch in the gate just for the OD on/off instance since it would seem that would be a little more convenient by just moving the shifter over to disengage versus push of the button. So may variables.. I appreciate the feedback and opinions as always.

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

Yep, I’m a big fan of the TC control in manual mode. Can’t wait to dial it all in again when I get the stroker running lol.
I read through the manual but i didn't see or catch this option. Would you mind sharing more information to the 4r70w newbie. Thanks.