• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w swap

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
01 will be the P heads so not as many header options. You could take the tranny, rebuild the heads and install them and the intake and gain some HP.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
If you are EFI now, you'd have to buy a controller for the trans. To swap the entire motor out you'd probably need the EFI guys help to rework the harness and flash the computer. I guess it depends on your budget. I just did the whole explorer 4R swap and I love it. Your EFI motor is basically the same as the exploder motor so I think I would opt for the trans with controller.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

So it would be better to just find a trans instead of buying the truck?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I would just buy the trans. I found mine on Craigslist - local guy was parting out a wrecked Mountaineer. Keep looking it will come up.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

I see a lot of trans shops on Craigslist selling rebuilt transmissions. Is it a good idea to just get a rebuilt one instead of one pulled from a used car?

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I would plus most will give you a warranty on it. Always good to know what you have instead of relying on a craigslister.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I bought mine for about 375 already pulled. It had 100k miles. Didn't do anything but change the output shaft, tossed it in and have been beating on it since. Check out this site for local, already pulled parts and pay cash to get the best deals:

www.car-part.com

Eric

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I paid $250 for one with 100k on it and it included the transfer case already pulled. I also put it in and have been trouble free. Crap can happen but the 4R70W is rock solid unlike many generations of previous AOD. If I can sell the AWD transfer case for $50 I would be really happy!

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

Got a 2001 trans on eBay for 300 bucks. I need a dip stick and tube

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I took one from a Mustang in the junk yard that had a 4R70W. I think it is a little shorter than the Explorer version. You need to make sure the trans is a 4R70W obviously because there are several transmissions used in a Mustangs.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

That link doesn't work for me. Is it just my phone? Does it work for u guys?

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

Cool thank you I'll order that now I need the computer for it. Anything else ?

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I did all the following: New fluid, lines/adapters for the trans cooler, way to shift it (I had to create a new selector arm), correct flexplate, and new torque converter to match my engine/cam.

OP
OP
H

Hemmer

Is usshift the way to go? What controller is best to use? It looks like they make 2 diff kinds.
Thanks.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I use the older version of the US Shift quick 4 and I have been very happy with it. I have only tuned it with my laptop attached, not without.

Eric