• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 EFI running rich

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rigged it just enough to get it running and see what happens, I have not fixed the fuel relay but what the hey lets try it and it fired right up! Now the bummer is it's super rich! like call the epa rich. I checked the FPR and it's not letting fuel into the intake. I have not timed it yet and yes the spout is removed. Other than the timing being off I cannot think what would cause this.

Sensors I have hooked up:
ECT
IAT
remote TFI
MAF
TPS
O2

ransil

Bronco Guru
How do you know its rich?

Pull codes and post them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No code reader needed, jumper wire and a test light will list codes.

Need a little more details on a few parts...
ECM part number
Exactly what MAF do you have?
What injectors are you running?

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Ok one of the CWO's is going to bring me a timing light at lunch so I'll get the timing dialed in tonight and go from there.

Toddpole

Contributor
You don't list the MAP sensor. I had the same issue the first time I started mine after the EFI conversion. It was so rich the exhaust burned my throat. I was seriously concerned about cylinder wear from the raw gas washing them down. Hooked up the MAP and it ran like a champ.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
You don't list the MAP sensor. I had the same issue the first time I started mine after the EFI conversion. It was so rich the exhaust burned my throat. I was seriously concerned about cylinder wear from the raw gas washing them down. Hooked up the MAP and it ran like a champ.

Is there a map on 94-95?

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Sooooo there is no map or bp sensor, 94 95 uses the MAF to determine that, so I may have an maf problem.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I don't think it has a Map sensor. It should be obvious in the harness if it has one and it would likely be a Barometric Pressure Sensor if it had one.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I have confirmed it, I do not have a map or BP sensor. I will have to adjust the timing and plug the spout back in to see where it sets. When I ran it lastnight I had no coolant in it so it only got to go for about 20 sec before I shut it down. Today I will fill it up with water and adjust the timing so it can go through it's warm up cycle.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No MAP, No PB On '94 and newer EFI.
How does it run with the MAF unplugged?
How does it run with the TPS unplugged?

I need to double check, but I thought the 24 LB cobra injectors were a '93 only item?

Is there anything that didn't come from the the donor car?

BroncoSnake

Subscribing... I've got a 95 Cobra engine on the stand in my garage waiting for one day to be installed in my '71.

I didn't quite understand the comment about the FPR. Are you saying you don't think that is the source of your problem?

I assume by "1995 Cobra everything" you are you using a J4J1 computer?

xraptor - did you use a 94-95 wiring harness or one of the aftermarket harnesses?

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Thanks for the reply's guys, First off I am pretty certain I have 24's but I will double check when I get home. The only things that did not come from the donor car was the mass air and the TB, TB is a 65mm BBK and the mass air came from Ebay and was listed an a 94-95 for 24's.

I will try again today buy timing by ear as I didnt get the light at lunch, we were busy. If I get it going well I will unplug some stuff and see where it goes. would a non functioning IAT cause this also? or the IAC?

Bronco snake I will check the computer code and I had the harness redone so yes, stock harness and computer.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I fought a rich problem with mine for the last three weeks. Same thing, running rough, bad fuel rich exhaust burning my eyes, hesitation when throttled, stalling, hard warm start. Was beating my head in since I replaced all of my sensors and had no codes for it. Ended up being a bad mass air flow sensor. Popped a known good one on it and ran like a timex.

BTW, As far as I know, Cobra Mass Air was for 24LB HR injectors. If your injectors are Light Blue tops, they are 24. If yellowish orange, they are 19.

Maybe the guy you bought the Mass Air from sold you one that wasnt what it is???

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Maybe the guy you bought the Mass Air from sold you one that wasnt what it is???

Yes i think this may be the problem if nothing else pans out. I can always try and get one from the local auto paerts place and try it out. If not, return it.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I checked the FPR and it's not letting fuel into the intake.

This is a little confusing to me... I assume you are referring to the Fuel Pressure Regulator?? This may sound stupid, but isn't the FPR on the return side of the system and regulates the pressure in the fuel rail by bleeding off as necessary??

I just got my fuel lines plumbed for my 347 EFI and I could have sworn the FPR was on the return side... if this were the case and it isn't functioning- would you have too high a pressure in the line forcing more fuel thru the injectors??

Please ignore this if I am wrong... it has been a long day and I am tired...

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
This is a little confusing to me... I assume you are referring to the Fuel Pressure Regulator?? This may sound stupid, but isn't the FPR on the return side of the system and regulates the pressure in the fuel rail by bleeding off as necessary??

I just got my fuel lines plumbed for my 347 EFI and I could have sworn the FPR was on the return side... if this were the case and it isn't functioning- would you have too high a pressure in the line forcing more fuel thru the injectors??

Please ignore this if I am wrong... it has been a long day and I am tired...

No this is a common problem for old junk yard parts. The FPR has a vacuum actuated diphram in it, the diphram can rot and crack leaking fuel into the vacuum line and into the intake. Yes it controls the return fuel.