• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 HO SWAP?

G

I just installed a 1986 5.0 ho motor in my bronco. What will happen if I use the vibration dampner from my origional 71 302..... thanx for any help

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
DON'T run your old balancer! Your old engine ran with a 28.2 oz. imbalance, while the 85' (an I have been told possibly 83') and newer engines run with a 50 oz. ombalance. With the age of the rubber in your balancer, it may shred at some point(when, who knows). Go to the junk yard, and get a balancer from any 85' or later 302 to be safe.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12521;start=0#93359 date=1040447492]<br>DON'T run your old balancer! Your old engine ran with a 28.2 oz. imbalance, while the 85' (an I have been told possibly 83') and newer engines run with a 50 oz. ombalance. With the age of the rubber in your balancer, it may shred at some point(when, who knows). Go to the junk yard, and get a balancer from any 85' or later 302 to be safe.<br>[/quote]I disagree! The engine is balanced with the flex plate or flywheel not the dampner! Besides if he's using the Bronco assories he needs the 3 bolt dampner.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
rulebreaker, I never said that the balancer was what balanced the engine. But, the balancer offsets the harmonics set up by the engine. If you take a 30 year old balancer and ask it to do what amounts to more work, you are asking for trouble. I have seen main bearings get hammered out of their saddles in less than 100 miles when the rubber in the balancer failed.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=12521;start=0#93470 date=1040506714]<br>rulebreaker, I never said that the balancer was what balanced the engine. But, the balancer offsets the harmonics set up by the engine. If you take a 30 year old balancer and ask it to do what amounts to more work, you are asking for trouble. I have seen main bearings get hammered out of their saddles in less than 100 miles when the rubber in the balancer failed.<br>[/quote]Couldn't he put a new Bronco harmonic balancer on it so that he could use his original Bronco accessories, if that is what he is trying to do?

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
for sure. I would just hate to see someone trash the bottom end of their hard earned iron with a questionable piece.

OP
OP
G

Thanx guys for all the help. So I need to get the flywheel balenced for my motor as well..