• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0L EFI throttle body cooling lines

74bronc

Bronco Guru
my 75 Bronco has ford 5.0EFI on it, installed by the previous owner. there's alot of things about this thing that are jerry rigged and i am trying to work them out one by one. The rear throttle body coolant line is connected from a nipple on the lower intake to the rear facing nipple on the throttle body but the front nipple on the throttle body has a piece of rubber tube and a bolt clamped in it, obviously not completing the throttle body cooling circuit. I cant, for the life of me, figure out where that front throttle body coolant line connects to at the other end. there's no nipple on the front of the lower intake and i can't find a decent cooling system diagram so i can connect this line back how it should be. anyone running 5.0EFI out there that can take a quick look and tell me where that front line is supposed to connect to? maybe snap a pic? thanks

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Throttle body coolant lines

74Bronc,

The coolant lines on the throttle body are not for cooling the throttle body. The coolant is only cold at start up and gets warmer as it picks up engine heat to be cooled at the radiator. The coolant lines were to warm the throttle body in cold regions. You may not need it for your region and it is blocked off. I have mine blocked off and I live in CO with somewhat cold winters and never have had a problem. Good luck with your project.

v/r,

SevenT

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Throttle body heater. In cold humid locations the adbiotic(sp) cooling of the pressure drop at the throttle body could cause an icing condition. Was more common with carburators as they also have the cooling of fuel vaporizing. Generally bypassed without an issue with EFI. Trying to remember the full coolant loop, pretty sure there was a hard coolant line that was removed for a traditional heater hose nipple. That hard line would have had the throttle body coolant nipple on it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The cooling/heating lines also regulate the EGR spacer temps...

From your description, it sounds like you have a Mustang based EFI. If so, then coolant would come out of the port at the rear cross over of the manifold, through the EGR spacer, then back to the return cooling line to the water pump. I am guessing you do not have the metal cooling lines. ?

Here is a picture of Mustang EFI in a Bronco... Yours the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20170712_172114660_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170712_172114660_HDR.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Mustang coolant tubes.jpg
    Mustang coolant tubes.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
74bronc

74bronc

Bronco Guru
The cooling/heating lines also regulate the EGR spacer temps...

From your description, it sounds like you have a Mustang based EFI. If so, then coolant would come out of the port at the rear cross over of the manifold, through the EGR spacer, then back to the return cooling line to the water pump. I am guessing you do not have the metal cooling lines. ?

Here is a picture of Mustang EFI in a Bronco... Yours the same?

yep, that's it. thanks for the pic. it helped me identify the piece that's missing on my bronco engine. I think i am just going to plug off the coolant line that is currently hooked up from the lower intake to the back side of the throttle body spacer and call it good. Thanks guys for the help.