• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 bronco 5.0 with 68 oil pan OOPS! Have problem need some advise

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
I just installed 5.0 mustang motor in the bronco and used a 68 mustang oil pan. the mustang oil dipstick came front eh front and the mustang motor has a hole in the drivers side which I can not get a dip stick down due to the pan blocking half the hole and it is not where I would want it anyway..
So what pan should I be suing in the configuration?
Jerry

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 68 mustang pan won't work even if you get the dipstick figured out. The front sump is in the way of the front axle.

The rear sump Bronco pan is an obvious solution, but there are plenty of Broncos running around with late model fox mustang oil pans, they work fine. Just have to watch the oil change mess as one of the drain plugs runs across the steering.

Late model Explorer pans are also known to work. It has an extra quart of capacity like the original Bronco pan.

Whatever pan you get needs a matching oil pickup. Even the rear sump pans are different. Bronco is different then mustang which is different then explorer. I haven't checked but I expect even an Explorer steal pan is different than an Explorer aluminum pan.

The dipstick also has to match the dipstick tube as well. The mustang and explorer both use the same hole in the block. The Bronco original pan uses a dipstick that attaches to the pan itself, so the hole in the block needs to be plugged. There is a tiny cup plug (freeze plug) that you can get for under $1 that fits good and better then trying to fill with epoxy (that probably costs more)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Late model Explorer pans are also known to work. It has an extra quart of capacity like the original Bronco pan.

No it doesn't. Same capacity as 5.0 mustang pan. 1 qt less than original Bronco pan.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I thought Todd was wanting my Explorer pan to get back to stock Bronco oil capacity from his mustang pan? Google says it is 5 quarts, I guess it is 5 quarts. Todd, I hope you didn't change the oil pan only to find that later.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the explorer sump was square-ish it would hold another qt. But it isn't due to some obvious clearance issues in the explorer. Probably wouldn't be real hard to modify the steel pan to add this capacity into it.

I'm using the aluminum explorer pan but have a spare steel pan just in case.

OP
OP
C

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
I have the orginal 91 5.0 pan and the dip stick , so you are saying just re-install the pan and i will be good? I replaced the pick up tube with the short one but kept the longtube from the mustangs as well. Thanks for your input men. Jerry

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have the orginal 91 5.0 pan and the dip stick , so you are saying just re-install the pan and i will be good? I replaced the pick up tube with the short one but kept the longtube from the mustangs as well. Thanks for your input men. Jerry

That's the fix.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I had a Bronco pan on my 5.0 and it leaked like crazy. Fox body Mustang pan is my recommendation.