• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'66 Only Options/Specs

OP
OP

'66U14

Yeah, it was on the driver's kick panel. Later, it was on the glove box door.

baby

I have a 66 roadster that I am about to restore any advice would be appreciated

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The early 66' bodies built in 65' were built by the Budd company and to my knowledge are the 'different' ones. My November 65' U14 is s Budd bodied bronco. The Bottom of the rockers are more squared off in addition to what has already been mentioned. The 6 cylinder core supports are different (although not 66 only). The halfcab floors do not have the holes for the rear seat bolts or seat belts either. The transfer case shifter shifter is taller and the shifter boot is unique as well. The dash is also different, different speaker grill, different dash pad and different speedo cluster. Mine has a Single reservoir master cylinder with a wire bail cover on it, I'm 99% positive its original but I've never seen one like it? Don't forget the 9" differential has a fill plug in it that is unique.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
That mirror looks like it is more than half way down the dang windshield.
I am short at 5ft 6in. And I am disproportionate with a larger torso. I feel like Shaq in the Bronco. I have to duck to look up at street light signals. That mirror would irritate the heck out of me.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
While restoring my Sept 65 U14, I have stumbled across a few more differences that have not been listed. The Door Panels on Eyebrow bodies, have 7 screws and latter 66/67 have 9. Some early bench seat models, had the arm rests mounted backwards...hence some people having folding seats and others not. (maybe an option when ordering)
Early Bench seats had a different passenger side bracket. They didn't have a brace welded underneath like later ones.
Someone else posted 3 different hoods for 66, I feel sure the eyebrow ones had the 2 & 4 rod supports...notice 2-rod has no long brace in the middle where windshield loop attaches like 4-rod and later 2-rod hoods.

Attachments

• interior 1.jpg
    interior 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 78
  • door panel 1.jpg
    door panel 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 70
  • FullSizeRender (40).jpg
    FullSizeRender (40).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 71
  • bench 10.jpg
    bench 10.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 77
  • get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg.jpg
    get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture__2013-01-06_at_11_32_25_PM.jpg
    Picture__2013-01-06_at_11_32_25_PM.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 39109093-770-0@2X.jpg
    39109093-770-0@2X.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

rmk57

That's correct, came with the chrome bumpers, hub caps, tail lens trim, etc.

Edit: like minds TBird, like minds :)

Is that the horn ring with "product of ford motor company" with the Ford emblem in the centre?

Not sure if mine came with hubcaps or not but does have a cigar lighter, heater, no tail lens trim and no radio, and no chrome bumpers but it does have a factory PTO winch.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Is that the horn ring with "product of ford motor company" with the Ford emblem in the centre?

Not sure if mine came with hubcaps or not but does have a cigar lighter, heater, no tail lens trim and no radio, and no chrome bumpers but it does have a factory PTO winch.

That would be the one :)

20150730_170555_zpscts3htrs.jpg

66BlueGoose

Contributor
Will a couple of you guys do me a favor? I would like to know if all the bolts that attaches the driver seat to the floor, all go in a downward position or, do any bolts come up from the bottom and the attachment nut is screwed on from the top?

And perhaps the passenger side as well?

I'm curious as I have found some to come up from the bottom. This is on a Aug '65 build.

Best

The short bolts that go into the nut cert plates thread from the top down, there are a few longer shouldered bolts that go through the cross member support, those thread from the bottom up.

hucklburry rev2

I have a question, my Mar 66 built Bronco has no side mirror, either side. It has no holes in the door and no holes in the fender to mount one.

When I go get it safety inspected, they might bring this up. A google image search shows a few without mirrors, but could it have left the factory with no side mirrors?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Build date is mid-September of '65, if that helps at all. Yeah, I want this thing to be COMPLETELY original.

I have a mid Sept U14 as well. What is your production number? Mine is 749323

I may have missed it, but mine had the earlier short transfer case shifter. I can share details as I remembered them, I have some photo's before it came apart, but it was very rough.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Got a 748836 and a 751472 so I've got you surrounded lol. Not sure that I've ever heard of the short shifter, other than ones people have cut down because they didn't like the length. Both of mine are normal length for a 66'. When you say short, like a PTO shifter?

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I have a question, my Mar 66 built Bronco has no side mirror, either side. It has no holes in the door and no holes in the fender to mount one.

When I go get it safety inspected, they might bring this up. A google image search shows a few without mirrors, but could it have left the factory with no side mirrors?

Assuming that you live in MO you should be fine..
Mirrors (11 CSR 50-2.220)
All motor vehicles which are so constructed or loaded that the operator cannot see the road behind by looking back or around the side of the vehicle shall be equipped with either an inside or outside mirror, or both, that will reveal the road behind.
All motor vehicles which were equipped by the manufacturer with an inside mirror and all 1968 and later model vehicles manufactured with both an inside and a driver's side outside mirror, shall be equipped in like manner. Do not inspect passenger side outside mirrors.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Not sure that I've ever heard of the short shifter, other than ones people have cut down because they didn't like the length. Both of mine are normal length for a 66'. When you say short, like a PTO shifter?
Here's a picture. It's shorter than most of the 66 shifters that I've seen, and someone else noted that the early ones got them.

Attachments

• IMG_0143 copy.jpg
    IMG_0143 copy.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 83