• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 models had voltage regulator on cluster gauge?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I ask, as mine doesn't have one. I did a search and couldn't find anything to answer my question. Also, I can't see where you would bolt one to this cluster.

Last edited:

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Every cluster I have seen had the Voltage Regulator on the back side of the cluster at the six o'clock position. But i think most of them have been later models. Pretty sure I is held in by one small screw. Look for a small screw hole on the back of the cluster at the six o'clock position.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thats a good question I'll have to look at my 66 roadster to see if it has one. Can't believe it wouldnt but it's a first year, anything is possible.
frenchy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's what I say too. They all "should" have them, but with early Broncs you just never know.
Every one I've seen had not only the screw hole, but a discolored spot where you could clearly see where the IVR had lived out it's life.
That, and I think there was a little nub (locating tab) that would help keep it from spinning when the screw was tightened. Theoretically anyway. They still spin sometimes, but I think they have that nub.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wonder if fallingdown has any early clusters in his queue, waiting to be refurbished?

I may even have access to some at work, but if it follows the trend, they'd be pretty well buried and have to have someone with a mental map of where everything is.
And who's not at the SEMA show...

Paul

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
The 66 cluster has the ICVR so I can't imagine that they stopped using it then brought it back later. My 66, 68, and 74 all have them. Now, what the previous owners have done, that's another story. I guess anything is possible.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I think I found the bolt/mounting location. Thanks guys! I'll add this to the list of crazy stuff the PO did to this vehicle. Hopefully I can find one locally.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you do not need temperture compensation (gauges will read low in the winter and high in the summer) you can pick up an LM7805 for a couple of bucks from your favorite eletronics supplier (Digikey, Fry's, even (if they have any inventory) Radio shack). The original design is temperture compensated so the gauges will be as accurate (what am I saying, these are stock gauges?) in the winter or summer, Eletronic voltage regulator will give a steady voltage and will not compensate for external enviromental temperture changes. Remeber that the gauges are bi-metalic thermal springs controlled by heating elements. The stock regulator varies the output to help compensate for this.